adverse possession, leasehold and freehold question.

TioCachondo

If I have squatted against a leasehold folio so as to bar the true owner, do I have the right to acquire the freehold under the ground rents acts, without becoming the registered owner of the leasehold folio?

Tricky legal question I know, but I'd be grateful if someone could help me out. Thanks

Can you give any more clarity, Is the lease registered as a burden on the head folio, usually the case where the lease lasts more than 21 years, your question I think demands the service of a solicitor well versed in conveyancing.

Have you squatted long enough to acquire the leasehold title. You shouldn't do anything about acquiring the freehold until you have. Once you have the leasehold title you can then set about acquiring the freehold. Not sure if it's possible to do both the leasehold and freehold at the same time. You could contact the Land registry for advice, it might even be on their website.

But the services of a solicitor are necessary and it would be foolhardy to go it alone, in my opinion.

Have you squatted long enough to acquire the leasehold title. You shouldn't do anything about acquiring the freehold until you have. Once you have the leasehold title you can then set about acquiring the freehold. Not sure if it's possible to do both the leasehold and freehold at the same time. You could contact the Land registry for advice, it might even be on their website.

But the services of a solicitor are necessary and it would be foolhardy to go it alone, in my opinion.

Yes I have. I agree with what you are saying and that's probably what I'm going to have to do, but I was wondering, as per my question, whether it was possible to acquire the freehold directly rather than go through the cumbersome process of first acquiring leasehold and then freehold.

Can you give any more clarity, Is the lease registered as a burden on the head folio, usually the case where the lease lasts more than 21 years, your question I think demands the service of a solicitor well versed in conveyancing.

I believe it is. I will be using the services of a conveyancing solicitor but I just wanted to know this element before approaching him. Thanks.

Yes I have. I agree with what you are saying and that's probably what I'm going to have to do, but I was wondering, as per my question, whether it was possible to acquire the freehold directly rather than go through the cumbersome process of first acquiring leasehold and then freehold.

How would that be possible, you've got adverse possession on the leasehold title. Your entitlement to buy out the freehold will be based on you having the leasehold title, you've the right to that title now, but you don't have it yet, as in you haven't done the paperwork.

After you go to a solicitor can you let us know how you get on. You need someone well versed in all things Land registry/titles/adverse possession etc. Probably not someone just out of Law school !

Back