Motor Car insurance cover abroad

lyonsie

For many years we have driven abroad in our own car, in particular France. We have always informed our insurance company of same and in some cased paid additional premium for this. As we are now retired and have a property in France we drove for a more extended period this summer and paid additional premium.
Our insurance is due for renewal in early Nov, we have been informed by our insurance company that they will not cover beyond 60 days and will require additional premium for this 60 day cover.
In conversation with drivers from other countries while in France, I have mentioned this problem we have, and find out that they do not have this and do not even have to pay additional premium for driving to other countries.
Can anyone advise where we might get car insurance with unlimited cover to drive abroad as we are both retired and intend to travel over and back from France very regularly.

Most policies will cover you to drive abroad within the EU for up to 31 days so must would charge. Your friends probably just aren't telling their insurers when they go!

That said your insurer is obliged to provide the minimum cover that France requires when you are there regardless. However it may mean that they would not cover any accidental damage if your policy is comprehensive at home.

Its probably worth your while shopping around for an insurer that doesn't charge an add'l premium for EU cover. Most, as Peteb says, cover up to 31 days free gratis. But of you're going for longer you might get hit for a surcharge. Minimum cover is given in all policies legally, but the definition of minimum varies depending on the country, so it doesn't neccessarily mean 3rd party as we understand it.

Peteb, is that cover for the duration or just for the 31 days? We want full cover over there.

Minimum cover is for the duation of when you are over there outside of the 31 days.

We are interested in having full cover for the periods we are driving abroad. Can anyone tell us or point us in the direction of a company that does this. Please.

Got a 'flyer' in the post for retired civil servants from 'Cornmarket Group Financial services Ltd.,' offering amongst other things.... Public sector car insurance scheme, and one of the valuable benefits is 'Cover for driving anywhere in Europe (no limit). Yepeee I thought....
Turns out it is for 60 days only.... A typo error!!!!
When pushed, they would cover us for the 60 days and up to a max of 6 months for €45 per month. This would be a one off, never to be repeated....
We almost feel like we are looking for something illegal.... why is it such a difficult thing????

its not a difficult thing..........you just arent prepared to pay for it! There's a difference!

You misunderstand.... We are willing to pay for it, but this company will only do it for one year, because we challenged them. When pushed they said they will cover us up to a max of 6 months (though their literature stated unlimited) and only on a one off basis.
I am sure there are a lot of retired people here with relatives, children or even holiday homes in europe who could spend a lot of time in 'better weather' and would need insurance for their cars.... car hire is expensive.... so I am hoping some of these people or their relatives might see this post and point us in the direction of an insurance company that covers driving in Europe for more than 31 days and with full cover (not minimum for that country that you find yourself in)??

As Time said register and insure the car in France. No insurer is going to do it here.

After much persistence we purchased the required insurance yesterday with unlimited driving in EU from FBD. Great value for money, and peace of mind. Would advise anyone who is taking their cars abroad to go to FBD and check out their policies.

All insurers in Ireland are obliged to give you 3rd party cover throughout the EU for the full duration of your policy. They cannot get out of this obligation.

Thanks for all your replies, but I think from all my investigation and enquiries that you are covered for the basic in the country you find yourself in. If you are driving a 'heap' and are not worried about damage to your own car, well and good!!! Also would like to think if you were involved in an accident that all parties would be covered. But if you happen to have a rather nice car, then I think the basic or even 3rd party is not good enough cover.
Better looking at it than for it is our motto....

3rd party is enough to compensate the other party.

There are differences in the concepts of basic insurance in different EU states. Our "unlimited" third party cover is not replicated everywhere, which could mean personal liability would attach to the driver.

Be careful of this, and ensure you are adequately covered for all necc.third party eventualities by checking the terms applicable to minimum cover in the relevant EU state.

3rd party is 3rd party for which ever member state you are in. It covers damage and injury as required by law.

Why do people here have to scaremonger?

3rd party is 3rd party for which ever member state you are in. It covers damage and injury as required by law.

Why do people here have to scaremonger?

I'm not scaremongering. People here ask for advice, the fullest advice is the best, including any potential pitfalls. The fact that unlimited 3rd party cover may not apply is important & relevant information. What an OP does,armed with that information, is up to themselves; but at least they know.

In countries that have what you call "limited" 3rd party, awards for damges and injuries are much much lower than in money grabbing Ireland. The telephone numbers that are awarded for whiplash injuries simply don't happen. For starters the courts would not entertain the crap in Ireland here. The awards made are naturally covered by the insurance company.

On the flip side, my insurance company has to provide what you call "unlimited" 3rd party if I ever took my car to Ireland. I would expect they would get goose bumps at some of the awards in Ireland for minor injuries. But they have no bother providing the cover.

Back