An Post wants to see a full bank statement before setting up a direct debit

Got a reply just now.

audience-clapping-smiley-emoticon.gif

I agree that there is a far greater margin for error on the customers part when entering BIC/IBAN details onto any form.

There may be a chance of error but these can be verified brefore processing any transactions. If the customer is asked for the BIC as well as their bank name and address then these can be confirmed to be a match via online look-up. If not then the BIC is wrong. The IBAN has an error check built in to ensure the accuracy of the number (see Wikipedia for all the gory details) - not perfect but I imagine it would catch most entry errors.

We ask for a full bank statement so that we can also be sure that there are sufficient funds in the account to cover the initial payment. Again this meets the data protection requirement to request the minimum amount of data to provide the service.

This sounds to me distinctly like trying to defend the indefensible.

Will they refuse the DD if the statement is from the period after paying the Christmas CC bill but before getting the January paycheck?

Well done on getting a response from them but I think you are letting them off far too lightly!

Hi Mrs Vimes

That is their old policy. They have changed it as a result of the discussions on askaboutmoney.

I agree that they should not be defending their old policy, but fair play to them for changing it.

Brendan

We ask for a full bank statement so that we can also be sure that there are sufficient funds in the account to cover the initial payment. Again this meets the data protection requirement to request the minimum amount of data to provide the service.

Bank statements are securely shredded by An Post after the first debit is successfully processed.

I am glad that they no longer are asking for the full bank statement. Fair play to them for not attempting to defend the indefensible.

Am I missing something? They are still looking for a bank statement to pay by direct debit, right?

http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainCon...n+Post/TV+Licence/TV+Licence+Direct+Debit.htm

I bank with Ulster bank, I dont get paper statements anymore. I have no idea how to give this information to the TV License people!

Any help?

thanks

Back