New washing machine faulty. Can I insist on replacement

milly123

Hi there

As stated above. I purchased a new Indesit washing machine yesterday and it appears to have an electrical fault. I was on to the indesit tech support who offered to send an engineer out next Wednesday to look at it. But I would prefer a replacement or refund. I think it's unreasonable to have to repair the machine before I even got one load washed in it. Plus I have three children so the laundry is piling up. Can I insist on a replacement or refund ? Or am I obliged to allow them send an engineer. I purchased from my local electrical store. Thank you in advance

Thanks for that link sandals. I'm useless at complaining. I think I will get my husband to bring it back this evening and insist on a replacement. I can't be without one. I have a newborn and two school young kids that need clean clothes and uniforms for Monday. It's a nightmare

The shop will be within it's rights to offer to have it fixed and not replace it.

You could get lucky and they might replace it but it's important to be aware of the law.

All above correct, OP

The contract is with the seller not the manufacturer and they decide on repair, replace or refund. They may have a contract with a 3rd-party repair team to have a technician attend on-site as part of their "repair" option.

I would imagine that you have the right to return the product & insist on a replacement. You only purchased the machine yesterday so it came with the fult rather than developed a fault. I would not be happy with a product such as a washing machine havin an electrical fault - washing machines are the cause of alot of house fires.

From the NCA

If the fault is major, for example if you buy a mobile phone and it stops working shortly after you start using it due to a major fault with the phone, you have the option to reject the goods and rescind (end) the contract.

Best of luck with it & hold your ground. Let us know how you get on

When you (or your husband) go in, make sure you have your homework done. Have dates or purchase, date of issue, steps you've done so far all at hand. Tell them you've been in contact with the consumer agency (I would ring them also on this - very helpful). Explain the situation to the shop manager. Don't be afraid to get into a "discussion" on the shop floor, don't feel like everyone is looking at you... you are there to sort out your issue, to be honest you shouldn't care what others think at that time BUT keep it civil, calm etc... don't get into heated argument even if it feels like you are talking to the wall...

Have a notepad & pen - document the discussion as you go, ask for the persons name, note the time & dates & record this in front of them. Take your time & make sure you get full name off them, their position etc... Let them see what you are writing down. You are documenting everything in case you need to bring it further...

Have a letter ready to hand in (templates on the consumer.ie website) stating the issue, dates, costing etc & in there also specify exactly what you want (a new washing machine or a refund of purchase price ) & that you are not accepting replacement as the goods sold are not fit for purpose. Don't give them the letter until discussions are going no where & no other avenue can be discussed without "losing the head" so to speak... discussion may go on for quite a while...

The shop floor workers probably won't have authority to make such decisions, so look for supervisor, shop floor manager, but note everyone's name you speak to.

No need to name "names", but was this a larger electrical store or a small store?

As mentioned above, issue is with the store that sold you the machine NOT the manufacturers. It's up to the store to fight the battle with the manufactures for their costings...not your issue & state that to them.

Hope you get the result you want....

Hi everyone

Just to update. I rang to complain but found them to be very nice to deal with and offered a replacement upfront. Which was a pleasant surprise. I'm happstetson and my new washing machine is up and running thankfully

Back