Stocking Lane, Rathfarnham

Advicepls

Hi there,

I am interested in a house in this location. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me exactly where on Stocking Lane the Halting Site is?

Many thanks

AP

Its at virtually the highest point, just before the roundabout where the road joins with the existing mountain road - Ill see if its visible on google maps and post you a link if I find it.

Thanks Truthseeker, is it the section where you can see 10 separate houses? If I came out of the Stocking Wood estate and took a right, I would then meet this estate on the left hand side?

Yeah thats it.

It seems like its set quite far back from the road because its down the side of the hill a bit, so its not that obvious as you drive past unless you know where it is.

It must be well hidden cos I have to say I have walked and driven past where it appears to be quite a few times and never once noticed it. Or maybe I did and just didn't realise it was a Halting Site. Do you know if there is ever any trouble there?

It must be well hidden cos I have to say I have walked and driven past where it appears to be quite a few times and never once noticed it. Or maybe I did and just didn't realise it was a Halting Site. Do you know if there is ever any trouble there?

Yes, the hill drops off steeply from the road, so its not that far down, but hard to see.

I dont know if there is trouble there. It not there that long, and its not yet directly surrounded by residential properties (nor likely to be in the near future anymore) - I think the original plan was to continue building right around there til the recession hit.

I live quite near the one in Daletree and in honesty I wouldnt buy again within a couple miles of one. Problems range from children causing minor problems in the local estate to awful car accidents from stolen cars being rallied around at night. A few wake up calls with the Garda helicopter and raids involving a lot of sirens and squealing tyres also!
At a recent meeting with the local counciller it was mentioned by a number of people that its too dangerous to drive, walk, cycle or jog past the site - peoples cars have been damaged, people have been attacked by dogs etc..

Thats my own feeling on it anyway and of course, what applies to one halting site in Daletree may not apply to one on Stocking Lane, but Im just speaking from my own experiences.

I know what you mean Truthseeker, I drive right past the one in Daletree to get to my friends house and its an awful eyesore with all the rubbish. My friend hates that it is so close as they have had trouble with some of the residents. The estate I am looking at is really lovely, Prospect Manor, I would hate this to be the deal breaker as we have looked around a lot of places and this is our favourite in terms of what we are looking for, proximity to family etc. :confused:

Prospect Manor IS really lovely. Its a good bit away from it though. Airpark is in between and the M50.

Why dont you check out neighbours.ie (or whatever name its going under these days) and ask in the Prospect Manor forum if theres any trouble from there? That way youll get real opinions from real residents.

I drive past it every day - never seen any problems it is a good bit away from anywhere else. Prospect Manor is a lovelly estate with a good residents committee and now a have a decent bus with 15b. Only issue I would have with it is that it is far enough away from Closest shops so would need a car.

Bar the kids causing trouble down the shops as in robbing stuff not heard of the other probs regarding accidents in the Daletree site.
Truthseeker is there many houses past the site - they sometimes jump the fence and come into Hunterswood but not seen/Heard too much from them recently.

I drive past it every day - never seen any problems it is a good bit away from anywhere else. Prospect Manor is a lovelly estate with a good residents committee and now a have a decent bus with 15b. Only issue I would have with it is that it is far enough away from Closest shops so would need a car.

Bar the kids causing trouble down the shops as in robbing stuff not heard of the other probs regarding accidents in the Daletree site.
Truthseeker is there many houses past the site - they sometimes jump the fence and come into Hunterswood but not seen/Heard too much from them recently.

Yeah Id agree with that about shops not too close to Prospect Manor - was there supposed to be shops built nearby and plans fell apart or what? Seems odd with Airfield etc that there is no local spar or centra.

Yes, there are quite a few houses past the site on Daletree, there is a cul de sac of council housing just up from it and then as you go on round the corner you come into Beechdale estate, and there are both houses and apartments. There have been a number of different motions made by residents in Beechdale due to road safety etc, suggestions of blocking off Daletree road, traffic calming etc... but nothing has changed yet. Mind you with LIDL possibly going into that space behind the hoarding there may be a review of the roads in the area - apparently they were never finished as they should have been per original plans and the developer is now gone bust etc....

Thank you both for your reply. I drove up and had a look around at the weekend and I don't feel at all concerned about the Halting Site in relation to Prospect. Re the nearest shop, I am not actually sure where that is. I know it is a mile and a half to Superquinn which is fine. Tbh I would prefer that to a shop on my doorstop with gangs hanging around at night and that.

Does anyone know what the local school is? I will be submitting an application to Colmcilles but I am not sure where else to be looking. Colmcilles would be my first choice.

There is actually a site set aside on Stocking Lane itself for a primary school - at the Dalriada end.

I know Educate Together are also getting ready to open schools in the area but not too sure where. Sancta Maria is nearby as well (I dont know if they have a primary?).

Thank you both for your reply. I drove up and had a look around at the weekend and I don't feel at all concerned about the Halting Site in relation to Prospect. Re the nearest shop, I am not actually sure where that is. I know it is a mile and a half to Superquinn which is fine. Tbh I would prefer that to a shop on my doorstop with gangs hanging around at night and that.

Does anyone know what the local school is? I will be submitting an application to Colmcilles but I am not sure where else to be looking. Colmcilles would be my first choice.

There is a school on the Edmonstown road I think, past the pitch and put club as you go up the hill.

Ballyroan Boys and St. Patricks primary schools and Sancta Maria and Colaiste Eanna secondary schools are also not too far away.

Nearest Shop is the Centra there is a Pharmacy beside it - it is on your way to Marley park not sure name of road, either that or Statoil beside Buglers both are a good Walk. There were supposed to be shops built up stocking lane just past the halting site on the left part of the Stocking wood estate at the roundabout you can still see the billboard - don't see them been built anytime soon.
Also traffic has improved along that road in the mornings since the new lights.
Don't think Prospect is in Colmcilles catchment area as it is Rathfarnham apply anyway great school, St Padraigs and Ballyroan boys are the Junior schools in that area.

Truthseeker yes would love to see an Aldi/Lidl take up that spot would be very handy I see that there is Planning permission up.

Hello I know this is an old thread but I a query in regards to Stocking Wood area. Is this area a flood risk area?! Notice from a recent SDCC document that it appears to be. Is there anyone here that has witnessed flooding there or even heard about it?

Reason I ask is that I'm thinking of purchasing a property there and I'm looking for advice about the area etc

All responses are much appreciated.

Stocking Wood is on the side of a hill. If it floods then Rathfarnham will be under about 100 feet of water,

Back