What to see in Edinburgh

gabsdot

DH and I are going to spend a day in Edinburgh next week. What's worth doing? What's unmissable?
Thanks

The Castle and Deep Sea World would be my 2 favourites. I also enjoy a walk along Princes street.

Loads to see in Edinburgh, any web or book guide should give you a summary of the main attractions, that said the Castle can be a waste of time at this time of year being overrun by bus tour groups.

Edinburgh is a truly beautiful city - if you have never been, plenty to see & too much to list really. But as mentioned, I wouldn't necessary regard the castle as a must-see - good views though.

Any guide book as suggested will have plenty of advice. The old town is the kind of place where you don't even need to have an agenda IMO - just wandering around is great. ;)

You are going to be there during the festival.....just walk around and soak it all up !

It's been a few years since I was there, but I remember loving the Camera Obscura. Do they still fire the cannon at 1pm from the Castle? Scared the wits out of me the first time I heard it!

We're just back and the Royal Mile was buzzing on Monday with the Festival Fringe performers. You could easily spend a half day watching the various "buskers". A new attraction is Dynamic Earth http://www.dynamicearth.co.uk/ We wanted to go but didn't have the time. The Dungeons are also supposed to be good. Great City worthy of more time.

Princes' Street is a terrible place to walk imho. On one side of the street, a pavement saturated with hoards of shoppers, not much different than Dublin's Henry Street; on the other, nice views of the Castle, IF you manage to ignore the incessant traffic and smoke-belching buses.

Much better walking options:
Along the Water of Leith
The New Town
The Royal Mile down all the way to Holyrood
Calton Hill
The Salisbury Crags
The Meadows and Marchmont.
Cockburn Street
Princes Street Gardens
Charlotte Square, George Street and Andrews Square.

I have been here a few times, Castle is a must , The Real Mary Kings Close - i found this very good but you need to book - just on high street.
The Edinburgh Dungeon (good for a laugh)!

Back