Updating Children's allowance records

gabsdot

I got a letter from Children's allowance section this morning saying they were updating their records to make sure everything was in order etc. I had half filled it in when I realised it wasn't actually addressed to me but was addressed to a woman who used to live here in 1999 when we rented out our house briefly while living in the UK.
Anyway. i know for a fact that this woman moved to Denmark in 2000 and if she has lived in Ireland she certainly hasn't lived in this house since then.
Do you think she has been recieving children's allowance all this time even if she's not in the country?
It got me thinking, mine is paid directly into the post office and I haven't had any contact with the Children allowance office in 4 years since I first applied. Would they even know if I moved?
Are there other ways to check to make sure people arn't defrauding the system

They are issuing these letters for the exact reason you state....to check that people claiming CB are still resident in this country. The onus is on the claimant to notify SW of any change of address so if you have moved, you should let nthem know so that they can update their records.

Do you not read the addressee details before opening mail delivered to your house? I always do because An Post sometimes make mistakes and mis-deliver mail.

I knew someone would have something to say about me opening a letter that wasn't addessed to me!!!
No obviously I didn't look at the name, or else I wouldn't have opened it!!!!
We often get mail that's not for us and I have had letters for this person before which I have always returned to sender. this time I opened and had the form half filled out before I read the name.
Silly me!!!

Back