Motor Car Insurance - NCB protection

Woodie37

I stupidly ran into a parked car - don't ask! The parked car was a 96 3 door toyota. I did some damage to the back panel - a large dent with some paint scraping. I have no idea of how much it will cost to repair the car - could be €300 - Could be €1000.

This is the first accident I have had in 20 years of driving. I have luckily protected by NCB. The insurance company have advised that the claim can be put through them, without any excess on my part. They have also said that it will not affect my NCB. My question is: If I claim through insurance, does it have NO affect at all on future quotes when renewing. Or when renewing, will my premium be loaded first as a result of the claim and then the protected NCB be taken into account.

If the cost of fixing the car is in the low €100's, would I be better of paying this myself and not claiming through insurance, rather that having it affect future renewals

Many thanks

The only guarantee your insurance company will give you is that they won't delete your existing no claim bonus. They could increase your premium at renewal date & you will also have to disclose the claim to any new insurer, which might mean you will be stuck with your existing insurer for 3 years or more..
I'm not a massive fan of full bonus protection add ons. If the cost of repair is less than a few hundred euro, you might still be better off paying it yourself.

Back