Motor Adding Au Pair onto Motor Insurance

InfoSeeker

We have a 24yr old Spanish au pair who has driven in Spain for 5+ years since passing her test.

She was a named driver in that time in terms of insurance.

I have contacted a few insurance companies and the best quote I can get is 960 in total, my insurance is 394 so adding the au pair is costing 566.

Wondering if anyone else has been down this road who might have some advice.

We have 2 cars so I will try to get a quote for the other car also as it is older though not sure that will make a difference as both are 1.9 ltr cars.

How long will she be here for?

If she were to exchange her license for an Irish one it may make a difference.

I know it shouldn't as all EU lincenses should be recognised the same, but insurance companies can be funny about these things.

Hi,
Like you we added au pair to car insurance (before they arrived) and it more than doubled the price.
Unfortunately the au pair did not work out and left after only a few weeks, and of course it costs you to re-amend a policy.
So one suggestion I would make is to wait for a few weeks to make sure everything is working out, and then add them to your insurance.

Sorry for hijacking this post but can I ask who you got insurance with? I'm having a lot of trouble getting insurance for my au pair. My husband has his with AIG through AA and I'm a named driver on his policy but due to his engine size and her driving experience his insurance company won't add her to the policy. She is 23 in Dec, Spanish and has a full Spanish licence since ‘Jan 13, with experience as a named driver since she was 20 in Spain. She is working out great, but we really, really need to get her on the road as our kids attend a country school. I am a rep and have a company car, so am a named driver on my company policy. I've tried going down the road of getting a policy in my own name with her as a named driver, but I need to have a policy in my own name for a minimum of one year before they will add a named driver (Per AA) apparently they’ve tightened up on this from parents using this route to get their kids on the road more cost effectively. I’ve also tried to take out a policy in her own name on a 1 ltr car worth €500 - best online quote was €786 again from AA but they can’t honour the quote as she needs to have been a resident in Ireland for over 12 months! I got a quote off Liberty of €2700 for the same car, another way of telling me to PFO...I thought this would be straight forward enough, more fool me! Any suggestions please as we really need to get her on the road asap.

Just to update so it might be a help to someone else. Have managed - after another half a dozen phone calls to get her insurance quotes in her own name, once the car is also in her own name: Axa for €900 and from Aviva (subject to Ignition course) for €1019.00 both for 3rd party fire & theft on a 1 litre, 99 Polo valued at €500.00! Insane but there you go! HTH

She's effectively a younger driver and is getting rated accordingly. It's pretty straight forward. You just don't like the price. Not trying to be smart. But you've got quotes.

Back