Can husband get mortgage on his own??

N

nad103

Hi, any advice greatly appreciated!! I bought a house by myself 5 yrs ago and since then have got married. My query is can my husband get a mortgage by himself as he isn't on my mortgage?We really need to move to a bigger house and cannot sell my property without making a huge loss. We have been told by a broker that my husband can apply for a mortgage even though we're married-any truth in this??A lovely house has come on the market that we would love to buy but doubt the banks would give us a joint mortgage coz of neg equity

How much do you want to borrow? It will all come down to how much your husband earns, how secure is his job, has he any other debts himself, what his credit rating is like.
Why not try renting somewhere rather than buying and save like mad. If you have so much neg equity is it wise as a couple to take on another mortgage even if he applies for it himself.

Being married does not mean that one person only can not apply for a mortgage so the broker is correct. But there is no way a bank will give it to him without them looking at your joint financial situation. And rightly so.

Can you both afford two properties?

We're only looking for 100,000 for the second house and my husband's salary is 47,600,he was offered a mortgage last yr before we got married of 220k so he can afford a mortgage of 100k

Hi Nad.
I am in a similar situation to you although I am not married yet. I have a house in negative equity (about €30,000), but now live with my fiance (only engaged 2 weeks). I cannot sell my own house without incurring a huge loss but it is rented out now and covers the mortgage. We also are wondering whether my fiance could get a mortgage in her own name after we are married, or would it be better to buy a house in her name before we get married.

She has been advised she could get about 225,000euro by herself now, and we are wondering could she still get this after we are married (or would the banks look at my finances as a spouse). She has a permanent job and earns approx €45,000p.a.

The problem is we cant set a date for our wedding until we know more. I will be speaking to a few other mortgage advisors over the next few weeks and will let you know how I get on.

Last edited:
I have just had a nice chat with a lady in KBC mortgages. She said that you can apply by yourself even if you are married (husband or wife). I asked would the bank assess the finances of the spouse but she said if there is only one name on the application, that is the only person that will be assessed.

Back