Mortgage approval in principle while probationary..?

mandelbrot

Going to speak to my bank anyway but just said I'd throw this out there:

I've recently started a new job (Civil Service), so it's a permanent job, but I'm on a probationary period until next April.

If I approach the bank shortly about getting approval in principal to see how much I'm able to borrow, will they refuse to have anything to do with me until I'm out of my probationary period?

Also, in relation to the loan, it would be a joint application along with my other half, who is also in Civil Service employment, 2 and a half years in, but on temporary contracts. How will that be viewed in their evaluation?

Any thoughts appreciated...

I would say give it a try, they may well say wait until you're out of probationary period but you've nothing to lose by trying, I would try them all a d see how you go,

In relation to the probationary period, they may approve you in principle but you will not be able to drawdown until that period is over and you have been made full time.

It is difficult to obtain approval based on a temporary contract, some lenders will decline immediately, others underwrite them on a case by case basis. The rest of the application would have to be very strong - savings etc.

I am in a similar position. I am in private industry and on 6 months probation. Better job, safer, better paid etc. It would not be a joint application with me though. The bank told me no even though I had very good savings and had no problem dealing with me prior to me changing jobs. Prior to the job change I had nearly bought but it fell through. Amazing if you didn't change jobs and took out a mortgage you could change jobs a couple of weeks later and the banks could do nothing about it. I would like to hear back how you get on.
Regards
Mike

I know someone in Civil Service also who had to wait until the probationary period was up so I would imagine you need to wait. The bank said it's a No until the position is permanent. Next April is not that far away to be honest and you could save in the meantime or clear any loans you have (chances are these need to be cleared to get the mortgage)

I thought the standard probationary period in CS was 2 years?
It used to be.
About 3 years ago that changed when the provisions of the unfair dismissals act were applied to the CS. Since then the probation is one year, and cannot be extended.

Did you manage to get loan approval?

Haven't even enquired about it yet, just trying to save whilst also letting the market continue it's downward spiral; right now I just hope we both still have jobs in 5/6 months time and then we might try to nip in before the 1st time buyer's mortgage interest relief goes the way of the dodo...

Back