Home Insurance for unoccupied property during renovation

tras

We have purchased a property which we need to renovate before moving in. It is structurally sound,we are knocking walls and extending etc. A builder will be doing the work. When trying to secure insurance to satisfy mortgage requirements,we have been met with a wall of refusals. I am sure that there must be some company taking care of this market. All help appreciated.

You will need a building under course of construction policy, which will cover the building whilst the work is being carried out. Cover is usually limited to fire & liability cover and converted to a comprehensive policy once the work is done. You may also need a self build liability policy if you are doing the work by direct labour (if you are employing a contractor then this shouldn't be necessary).

www.powerinsurances.ie

Thanks,Jim. Do your firm deal with this type of insurance? Am facing a morning in front of the yellow pages otherwise!

Kidd Insurance have products to cover this as do most other brokers through the likes of thomond underwriting and Lloyds generally

Kidd Insurance have products to cover this as do most other brokers through the likes of thomond underwriting and Lloyds generally
not anymore , checked with them. most seem to be saying these used to but wont take on new business

We deal with an insurer that offer's cover for the property during a renovation (on a case by case basis) and will also offer liability cover for any contractors you may employ to do the work.

Try www.finsure.ie they were the only ones I found who even seemed to understand what I was talking about! Cost almost €900 p.a. but well worth the peace of mind.

Back