Changing name by deed poll

gbikkes

hi everyone. if I change my name by deed pole, can I use this document to change my name on my passport in Ireland? I want to take my partner's last name without getting married. thanks

Hi
Could I ask some questions on a similar theme -
a non-EU colleague resident here in Ireland, was refused permission to register the surname of her child as a hyphenated double surname composed of the following, as is the custom in her home country: [colleague's surname - grandmother's name].
She was told that the child's surname must be either the surname of the father or mother or both-hyphenated.

Firstly, would anyone be able to comment on the 'correctness' of that ?

and secondly:

It would seem from the link to the Citizens Advice that a child's name can be changed by deed poll by the parents - but could it be changed to the hyphenated name that my colleauge wished to use in the first place or are there regulations on what names can be used ?
Thank you.

I have just discovered the following on another page of the Citizens Advice link:

Surname. Since October 1997, a surname for the baby is registered when the birth is being registered. The surname registered must be the surname of the father or mother or both. If you want your child to have a surname other than the surname of the father or mother or both, then an application must be made to the Registrar General or a Superintendent Registrar in writing.

This would seem to indicate that one must simply apply in writing to have the hyphenated name indicated above.
Would that be correct ?

Last edited:
By register I presume you mean on the register of births and the accompanying birth Cert.
If so then it is as you say. [The Reg of Births can be changed but in very limited circumstances as you have found out.]

The deed poll mechanism does not change the original registration, this is a fundamental aspect of the process.
It says that "you are abandoning the use of your old name, that you will use your new name at all times and that you require everyone to use your new name."

The deed poll name wont change the original registration which is there as a backstop in case anyone wants to know who you were originally.

thanks, Irocha
but for future children does it mean that all she has to do is write a letter to the Registrar (?) to apply to have the hyphenated surname she wants for the child ?
thanks

I have just discovered the following on another page of the Citizens Advice link:

Surname. Since October 1997, a surname for the baby is registered when the birth is being registered. The surname registered must be the surname of the father or mother or both. If you want your child to have a surname other than the surname of the father or mother or both, then an application must be made to the Registrar General or a Superintendent Registrar in writing.

This would seem to indicate that one must simply apply in writing to have the hyphenated name indicated above.
Would that be correct ?

I dont think so as it says "other than the surname of the father or mother or both"
This all getting complicated these days because of the different combinations that make up parents these days and surrogacy and egg/sperm donors etc so you need to as, bearing in mind the 2004 Act.
http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2004/en/act/pub/0003/print.html

i'm all done here.

Back