Irish Water salary package

dewdrop

With all the furore and this it seems the Government signed it off and why was there no criticism when same applied to Bord Gais staff?

I haven't kept up to date with the issue.

But do we not want to pay people in line with performance? Give people basic salaries and then bonuses for achieving targets?

Brendan

my understanding is that BG moved from an old pay scale and increment system to a performance based pay model common in the private sector.

I understand that basic pay was reset at 85% to 90% of the old average rate. Poorly performing employees will find them selves down. Average performing will break even and really excellent performers will be 10% up on old rates.

The performance pay would depend on individual, team, and company performance.

This package would have involved the trade unions and I'm guessing that the new contracts have a dc pension rather than a db one.

I reckon the whole thing is just a bottle of smoke drummed up by a few lazy journos.

my understanding is that BG moved from an old pay scale and increment system to a performance based pay model common in the private sector.

I understand that basic pay was reset at 85% to 90% of the old average rate. Poorly performing employees will find them selves down. Average performing will break even and really excellent performers will be 10% up on old rates.

The performance pay would depend on individual, team, and company performance.

This package would have involved the trade unions and I'm guessing that the new contracts have a dc pension rather than a db one.

I reckon the whole thing is just a bottle of smoke drummed up by a few lazy journos.

A few incorrect assumptions there .

A pay freeze applies across Bord Gais until 2016 , the performance related scheme to be introduced subsequent to the pay freeze only applies to new employees , existing employees who are promoted & those that apply for such scheme - the voluntary nature of the scheme was vital to get it past the group of Unions.

All existing employees remain part of a DB pension scheme whether such employees sign up for PRP or not , new employees will have a DC scheme.

I would really be surprised if many sign up for the PRP scheme given the rather limited parameters of what one can achieve by way of bonuses on top of a basic salary & of course the final pension will be calculated on the basic salary excluding bonuses & why in the name of God would any average/poor performer sign up for such a scheme ?

It should also be noted that any current employee who opts into the PRP scheme retains their current salary & will receive 50% of any further negotiated pay increases.

RTE radio said that the bonus scheme is a copy of the Local Authority scheme. A guy in this morning pointed out that of the 230 odd local authority employees who applied for bonuses last year all of them received them. He also said that the largest proportion of employees of the new company are former council employees, not Bord Gais people and that they have to maintain an extra 2000 staff members until 2026. In short the reason why the charges are high and will get higher is the same as the reason our taxes are high; the government and most of the apparatus of state is rubbish at their job.

Back