Forced Unpaid leave

C

Chippo

Our employer is asking all full time staff to take two weeks unopaid leave to help reduce costs, is this permissable or should it be voluntary.
What will the social welfare entitlements be.
Can it affect stamps etc
This could be a yearly occurence

Unforunately as far as I know they can enforce unpaid leave, however are they still keeping Temporary staff working?? The company should be contacting social welfare to arrange some kind of payment for you.

Yes - I think you need to sign on as soon as you are on leave. The SW will advise when you do so. I doubt they will sort your claim out quickly though and I think this is why your employer would be obliged to notify them. Contact the DETE for advice also. They are quite responsive to email.

Unpaid Leave

I was put on a period of unpaid leave [along with 6 others in my company] for 4 weeks. At the end of the 4 weeks, we were all made redundant. The company were biding time in that period to decide whether they could survive with/without us i.e. pay our wages. We all claimed SW for that 4 week period. As far as I am aware [but please check it out for yourself] you are entitled to sign on and you should do so immediately - because if you delay - they will query why. I did not claim until the 3rd week because I was afraid my potential [actual] redundancy would be jeopardised. It wasn't. But they did want to know why I hadn't claimed sooner.

Back