Plastic Oil Tanks - Life Expectancy

DACMAN

Hi,
Anyone know how old a plastic Oil Tank needs to be before being replaced?
Just noticed some cracking on the surface of mine it been there approx 14Yrs & is exposed to the elements (plus Kid's using it as a slide from time to time!).

Thanks

DACMAN

Mine cracked after 9 years - checked with the manufacturer & they said it was guaranteed for 5 years, hard luck !!
Invested in a new one , different make (Kingspan), guarantee is 10 years.

If you want to extend the life of your tank try and locate it in a shady corner, sunlight and UV radiation will degrade all plastics in time.

I can't get into mine as its covered by a trellis on 2 sides with thorny bushes on it and wall on other 2 sides. I can barely get into the filler cap with all the hedging growing around it.

I suppose in a way its protected from light and abuse but if it ever leaks, I'll never see it

I can't get into mine as its covered by a trellis on 2 sides with thorny bushes on it and wall on other 2 sides. I can barely get into the filler cap with all the hedging growing around it.

I suppose in a way its protected from light and abuse but if it ever leaks, I'll never see it
WELL IF IT LEAKS YOU SURE WILL SMELL IT

check with OFTEC as they have set the standards for the domestic oil heating and plumming industry. If the tank was not properly supported on its base could affect its life expectancy.

WELL IF IT LEAKS YOU SURE WILL SMELL IT

Also its very important to deal with a leak before it does any damage to the surrounding area. If the soil in the area is contaminated (and this could be your neighbours property if the tank is close to a boundary) the EPA could insist that all topsoil in the area be removed at the property owners expense. (insurance companies report such incidents if a claim is lodged !!)

Back