Comp Sci or Software/Electronics Eng - job prospects?

Smythe

Do you think there would be much difference in future employment prospects between either of the two degrees below? Both from the same university.

a) Computer Science BSc or BEng (both 1-year work placement)

b) Software and Electronics Systems Engineering BEng (1-year work placement)

Thank you :)

I chose the electronic engineering choice ten years ago... never looked back.

Do you think there would be much difference in future employment prospects between either of the two degrees below? Both from the same university.

It would depend on the course content specifically, which university is this?

I work for a big multinational in the Cloud Computing space. We find that Computer Science fundamentals are the things most lacking in candidates when we test them. Since they transcend technologies, programming languages and methodologies which are often trend based, they are the technical skills that are most valued by a lot of software companies.

My guess is the 2nd course will bump out some of the computer science in favor of the systems engineering, my guess is the first will include elements of Software Engineering.

In terms of job prospects in Ireland, at the moment at least, the Software market is particularly good. There is plenty of opportunity. I think the electronic engineering track is a little more tight, with Xilinx the only really big player that I know of.

Thank you dtlyn.

In terms of job prospects in Ireland, at the moment at least, the Software market is particularly good. There is plenty of opportunity. I think the electronic engineering track is a little more tight, with Xilinx the only really big player that I know of.

It's interesting to hear this. I suspect I'm probably more interested in Computer Science than the Electronics Engineering.

My guess is the 2nd course will bump out some of the computer science in favor of the systems engineering, my guess is the first will include elements of Software Engineering.

I work for a big multinational in the Cloud Computing space. We find that Computer Science fundamentals are the things most lacking in candidates when we test them. Since they transcend technologies, programming languages and methodologies which are often trend based, they are the technical skills that are most valued by a lot of software companies.

These are the Computer Science modules.

Multimedia I
Introduction to the Science of Computing
Fundamentals of Programming (in Java)
Programming Challenges (in Java)
Computer Architecture
Multimedia II

Computation Theory

Games Programming
Networks & Communications
Professional Practice
Database Systems Data Structures & Algorithms
Multimedia Systems
Software Engineering & Group Project
Data Processing & Database Systems

Programming Language Implementation

Computer Organisation & Operating Systems
Concurrent Programming
Formal Methods
Software Engineering Project
Artificial Intelligence
Multimedia Systems II
Database Systems
Computer Vision

Which specific modules of these would perhaps provide the Computer Science fundamentals which you can find most lacking in candidates?

This looks like a good selection, all of these would be core.

Introduction to the Science of Computing
Fundamentals of Programming (in Java)
Programming Challenges (in Java)
Computer Architecture
Computation Theory Networks & Communications
Concurrent Programming
Formal Methods

These two are ones where the trickier aspects of the above would be applied

Games Programming
Computer Vision
Artificial Intelligence

Joel Spolsky has a great article with advice for undergraduate computer science students, the points I really like are

- Take programming intensive courses
- Learn C before you graduate
- Learn how to write before graduating

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/CollegeAdvice.html

If you do well in the above courses, follow the advice above and in the article and maybe get yourself involved in some side work like bug fixing for your favorite Open Source application, then you are in great shape.

I haven't seen the course modules for the Software and Electronic Systems Engineering but my guess is that it will have a mix of Hardware and Software Engineering. I think this could be a big advantage when taking job prospects into account. As the course goes on you can decide which interests you more, whether it be software entirely or you may develop an interest in hardware or systems etc.

If you are particularly interested in any area, your final year project will be an opportunity to exploit that in more detail. This might be the case for either course.

The Computer Science course seems very software intensive, the other course may give you a more rounded experience.

When looking for a job, employers will expect you to know the basics very well and will ask about your final year project to try to find out how sharp you are and what your capabilities are.

I would take the course which offers a wider range of modules as this
will be less likely to exclude you from any job opportunities.

Also, remember that often it's not the decision you make but what you make of the decision. So whichever course you decide to take, the important thing is to do well in the course. Aim for a first class honours degree and this will boost your employment opportunites regardless of which course you choose.

Good luck!

I haven't seen the course modules for the Software and Electronic Systems Engineering

Software and Electronic Systems Engineering

Electronic Circuits & Devices
Computer Architecture
Circuits & Communication
Computation Software
Mathematics
Design Project
Embedded Systems

Digital Systems
Data Structures & Algorithms
Signals, Systems & Sensors
Advanced C++
Design Project
2 TO BE CHOSEN FROM THE FOLLOWING 6
Embedded Software Systems
Fields & Waves
Database Systems
Software Engineering
Mathematics
Virtual Reality Systems

Individual Project
Professional Studies
4 TO BE CHOSEN FROM THE FOLLOWING 10
Computer Architecture & Operating Systems
Digital Systems Design & Signal Processing
Digital Security
Communication Systems Engineering
Database Systems
Mobile Computing & Wireless Systems
Agile & Component Based .Net
Connected Health
Computer Vision
Pervasive Systems

Good luck!
Thank you nacho_libre!

I know this probably goes without saying, but don't pick computer science just because there are plentiful IT jobs.

Most people hate working in IT and as a result hate getting up in the morning.

That is not a life I would choose (I'm lucky I like working in IT :)) so please do yourself a favour and make sure you pick a course which you are genuinely interested in and will be happy doing for the rest of your life. Don't become another miserable IT person!

Back