August Wedding Invitation to Florence

newfarm

Hello Everyone!

We have been invited to a wedding to take place in the Four Seasons Hotel in Florence on 29th August. We hope to go and to stay on for a few days to sightsee. However the Four Seasons rates are way beyond our budget.

Can any of you recommend a middling good hotel that is easy to use as a base for sightseeing and that wont be too difficult to travel to the Four Seasons?

Also your recommendations on the best options for travel from Dublin to Florence as I think there are no direst flights.

Thanks,

Gene

You could fly to Pisa and hire a car. Its about an hours drive, mainly moterway. Ryanair and Aerlingus fly there.

Another good option is to fly to Milan and take the high speed train to Florence, journey time about 90mins & is very comfortable & easy to book on line.

If there's a group of you, apartment rental might be a better value alternative to hotels?

Fly with aerlingus to Bologna and get a train to Florence.
You can reserve seats on the trains in advance or buy a ticket at the train station.

Thanks for the suggestion...........but I am nervous enough in city driving here, so I definitely wont drive in Italy! Appreciate you taking the time to reply.

I would agree with the suggestions of flying into either Bologna or Pisa about an hour either direction by train which are very efficient and friendly. Avoid car hire if your staying in Florence city centre as they charge a tourist tax to enter the city not sure how much but i believe it can be expensive. Driving in Italy actually not that bad, have done so a few times especially around Florence and found it ok and easy to do.

Accommodation will be expensive and hard to find perhaps try the venue the wedding is in or try agriturismo.it which are basically b&b's on farms, very nice and very friendly although you might need to hire a car after all. Hotels are graded differently to here but usually very clean and friendly.

Also consider the weather in August it should be very hot and sunny so pack accordingly

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. One thing is settled anyway..........a flight to Pisa and maybe a return flight from Bologna, allowing a little sightseeing in both. I like the idea of the train journey too!

Staying in the hotel seems way beyond our budget...........something like 700 euro per night..............whereas I was thinking more around the 100 mark! A few years ago we stayed in Rome and got a fine hotel near a metro line for around 80/ night, but it was off season.

Again, thanks for taking the trouble to answer.

Gene

Nothing to say about where you stay, but an absolute must is to climb to the top of the cathedral dome. It's a bit of a slog, but well worth looking at the views of Florence. Brunelleschi's dome is a brilliant piece of construction. The Ponte Vechia, which can been seen from the dome is well worth a stroll along and the Uffizzi Gallery is an absolute must.
Enjoy!

Hello Everyone!

We have been invited to a wedding to take place in the Four Seasons Hotel in Florence on 29th August. We hope to go and to stay on for a few days to sightsee. However the Four Seasons rates are way beyond our budget.

Can any of you recommend a middling good hotel that is easy to use as a base for sightseeing...

Would you consider a B&B? A search on Booking.com shows the following for 3 nights..

and don't forget to buy an Ice cream, nothing like you will ever taste here
You will never pay as much for one either! I travel to Florence every year and fly into Pisa with Ryanair they have buses that take you to Florence or if you want to spend a day sight seeing in Pisa you can get a train to Florence. You can fly out of Cork or Dublin. Look up a site like Trivago and you will get an idea of hotel prices there. Then check them on Tripadvisor to get a review of your chosen hotel. If I can be of any further help to you - just ask.

Back