Gareth Brooks Concert

What makes you think your taste or critical ability is better than someone going to a Garth Brooks concert.
I was afraid it would descend to this; that a jocular remark would lead to a discussion on the merits of C&W music.

To tell the truth, I just don’t understand the whole country and western aesthetic.

Possibly because I wasn’t born in Georgia (and neither was my Pappy); I’m not a gamblin’ man; I know who both my parents were; I wasn’t raised in the county home; I’ve never drowned my sorrows drinkin’ rye (whatever that is) when my girlfriend ran off; and I wasn’t born in the back of a flatbed truck hightailin’ it on Highway 41. I just never had those advantages.

I was afraid it would descend to this; that a jocular remark would lead to a discussion on the merits of C&W music.

To tell the truth, I just don’t understand the whole country and western aesthetic.

Possibly because I wasn’t born in Georgia (and neither was my Pappy); I’m not a gamblin’ man; I know who both my parents were; I wasn’t raised in the county home; I’ve never drowned my sorrows drinkin’ rye (whatever that is) when my girlfriend ran off; and I wasn’t born in the back of a flatbed truck hightailin’ it on Highway 41. I just never had those advantages.

That really has nothing to do with it but just reinforces the "My musical tastes are far superior to the rest of you"

I wasn't born in Georgia myself although my Dublin born wife insists that I'm a redneck !

Despite that geographical drawback there is nothing quite as enjoyable to me as the high lonesome sound of Hank Williams or Dwight Yoakam or the country rock of Gram Parsons or the more recent acts such as Ryan Adams , Drive by Truckers .

Nothing wrong with people having divergent musical tastes - it seems a bit snobbish to presume otherwise !

In my innocence I had hoped the discussion would be about where is the money coming from if so many people are in financial dire straits.

I wasn't born in Georgia myself although my Dublin born wife insists that I'm a redneck !

Despite that geographical drawback there is nothing quite as enjoyable to me as the high lonesome sound of Hank Williams or Dwight Yoakam or the country rock of Gram Parsons or the more recent acts such as Ryan Adams , Drive by Truckers .

Nothing wrong with people having divergent musical tastes - it seems a bit snobbish to presume otherwise !

To be fair, you could write some decent country and western music about the Waterford Blaa.

In my innocence I had hoped the discussion would be about where is the money coming from if so many people are in financial dire straits.

It has the makings of a classic country song; hard times, done down by "the man" (Seanie Fitz & whoever else), but he aint gonna get me down cos I'm a drivin the pickup to Croker, me 'n' Garth gonna have a good time. ..........Yeee Hawww! :D

To be fair, you could write some decent country and western music about the Waterford Blaa.

More suited to a rhapsody sung by a heavenly choir perhaps ?

Particularly if the aforementioned Blaa was filled with red lead ( known to the rest of the country as luncheon sausage ! )

I have little interest in C & W music, but it is surely better than that agressive type of music rapping on about that motherbleep that, my nbleep that, my hbleep that, not to mention the poleece brutality.

I say there are a few hardcore fans who are going to all 3 and now 4 of these GB concerts. A guy I once worked with went to all 3 U2 Celtic Tiger era Croke Park concerts, 3 nights in a row. Another guy went to see the same Lord of the Rings movie 5 times in a row.

The greatest country album in the World Ever would probably be fairly decent:

Country Roads
Fulsom Prison Blues (& a load of other Johnny songs)
Friends in Low Places, The Dance (dunno about If Tomorrow Never Comes - a bit too saccharine)
Stand by your Man (a feminist anthem .... oh wait)
Sweet home Alabama (originally meant to be an ironic kind of song)
9 to 5??

I suppose I wouldnt be allowed put in The River by Bruce Springsteen - it does have the line "they bring you up to do, like your Daddy done" - sounds country to me.

Any other guilty secrets out there?? :)

T
Any other guilty secrets out there?? :)

You left out Jolene, Blanket on the Ground, Lucille, the Gambler and, and, and.....

And I don't feel even the teeniest bit guilty either. :)

I went to a John Denver concert in the point once and he told a joke about how, unlike heavy metal music, which when played backwards was all satanic, country music, when it's played backwards is completely different. Your wife comes back, your hair grows back, your beer gets cold again, your truck works again and your dog comes back to life. :D

Rascal Flatts took that joke and even made a song about it, too.

What's a luncheon sausage?

I think he means luncheon roll. It's shaped like a large sausage, the 'meat is an odd pink shade, and it's generally covered in red plastic, it's sliced like ham or corn beef. I think it's just about the cheapest 'meat' that can be bought. I'd imagine it's nor really meat at all, and probably very unhealthy, but tasty. Normally used for sandwiches or salads Irish style, 3 slices of meat, 2 pieces of lettuce and a chopped tomato, though raw peppers are added nowadays to give it the exotic touch. I'd say Gareth Brooks is more into American fried chicken or ribs given his girth.

'Gareth', or Garth as he's known to his fans, is obviously just recession proof, simples really! :) I'm not going along myself but I certainly would prefer listening to him over a lot of the crap that passes for music these days and it's no surprise that his concerts sold out so quickly.

Tis gone to biblical proportions, a 5th night!!!

I think this must be a national yearning for an Italia 90 like experience. Maybe the history books will record it as the event where Ireland shrugged off the recession....... (or maybe I've completely lost the run of myself, but 5 nights in Croke Park cant be shrugged off as something not meriting broader comment??)

Tis gone to biblical proportions, a 5th night!!!

I think this must be a national yearning for an Italia 90 like experience. Maybe the history books will record it as the event where Ireland shrugged off the recession....... (or maybe I've completely lost the run of myself, but 5 nights in Croke Park cant be shrugged off as something not meriting broader comment??)

It's mad stuff. At this rate he will be half time entertainment in the All Ireland finals!

I think you are right about the Italia 90 like experience. People just associate the music with good times in their lives which is what music should be about no matter what type it is. Fair play to him and I hope everyone has a ball.

Will there be anyone in the country who doesn't know someone who's going to the concert?

Back