2 job roles being done by 1 person

jennifer999

I have recently been asked by my employer to take on a second role within the company in addition to my own (2 different roles). I have no problem with this as im interested in both and I genuinely want to get all the experience I can get BUT....... I want to ask for a salary increase of a significant amount.

If I had said no they would have to employ a 2nd person so I should have a leg to stand on but am not entirely confident.

Im currently on €28k which is average for my current role. I was hoping to get an extra €7 - €10 k for taking over the 2nd role.

What do people think?

I think its always a great idea to get as much experience as you can, but do not automatically expect a pay rise, Mr. bear took on a managers role as well as his own when she left the company, when it came to his review - he got a whopping 0% pay rise!

Needless to say he did leave, and because of the experience he had gained ended up geting a 50% pay rise!

Would the second role, assuming it was to become a fulltime position, be one that generally commanded a higher salary? (e.g. like PinkyBear's managers role). If you're just looking for more money because you're doing something new, I'm not sure that you'll have much luck.

The new role would involve greater responsibility and instead of looking after one office, I would now have to look after 4 offices. My employer has basically told me that the 'buck stops with me'.

If you are taking on more work/responsibility then a reasonable quid pro quo would seem to be increased remuneration. What is reasonable though depends on the job and how it contributes to the overall success of the company.

If you are currently working a 35 hour week and you are fully occupied, it will be difficult to take on a second job in the company and do both unless you plan to work 70 hours a week.

If it requires a redistribution of your work without any increase in your actual input, then you probably shouldn't be entitled to any increase.

You need to clarify all these issues with your boss. Sometimes people think that you can do two jobs equally well. Usually one suffers and then you will get criticized for not doing your job properly.

Brendan

4 offices instead of one, buck stops here????????

More responsibility=more hassle= mpore stress = more hours = mo money!!

There is no law to say this but as you point out
A. An increase to you of some amount is more economical than hiring a 2nd.
B. or if you leave hiring and retraining 2 is much less efficient.

its all down to individual bargaining skills. Go for it!

Thanks every1 for the replies.

The new role would not mean doubling my working hours but it will mean I have to work extra hard to get things done within the 35 hours time frame.

As monkeyboy says I just have to get the barganing hat on and bite the bullet.

Thanks again

Thanks every1 for the replies.

The new role would not mean doubling my working hours but it will mean I have to work extra hard to get things done within the 35 hours time frame.

As monkeyboy says I just have to get the barganing hat on and bite the bullet.

Thanks again
If the new role will give you new skills and improves your prospects in the long run I would not get too hung up on getting a pay increase.

In my view I think you should raise the issue sensibly with your employer. Don't turn it into a moan session but raise the extra workload involved and request that he reviews the issue of a salary increase. This will benefit both you and the employer. firstly you will get the opportunity of how your employer views the position and the request and secondly for the employer he/she may get an appreciation of the fact that there is an additional workload. If you fail to do this and continue working on your old salary you may feel an unjustifiable resentment against the employer as he/she has not been appraised of your feelings on teh matter.

Back