Tiling - how much?

J

junebug

Hi

We are trying to figure out how much it will cost for the labour to tile a newbuild. We have been told that €20 per square yard is average - is this accurate or do some tilers charge per day instead? We have about 230 square yards to tile with about 70% porcelain tiles and 30% regular ceramic. Any advice appreciated!

Hi Junebug, welcome to AAM. There are quite a few previous threads on this topic, including this, this, and this. The search facility will locate others.
Leo

It's not the same price for porcelain and ceramic tiles in principle.

I got my bathrooms and kitchen tiled on December, and the tiler quoted 14€ /sq yard for ceramic tiles and more (unspecified as we thought we didn't have any) for porcelain.

We didn't notice it, and there was a batch of porcelain tiles, but in the end he just charged us the 14€ per square yard.

glad i saw this thread, i was on the verge of agreeing 20 per square meter with a tiler (thought i did well to haggle him down from 25)
gotta find me a new tiler now!

glad i saw this thread, i was on the verge of agreeing 20 per square meter with a tiler (thought i did well to haggle him down from 25)
gotta find me a new tiler now!

Just one caveat; I got a price of €10 per sq meter, for a large, staightforward job; i.e good flat surface, large areas, large tiles.
I wouldn't expect this price for smaller, intricate jobs.

a good tiler will charge you 20 for porc, 10 - 14 for ceramic, does your porc need dewaxing, sealing, resealing, stain stopping, what size, conditions of surfaces, all relevant factors, you do have a lot of tiling to do ,please do not accept lowest quote purely for financial reasons check todays posts where it sounds like her porc has to come back up.you need an experienced tiler for porc.

Just got a price of €16 per sq yd for ~110sq yds in Cork. Striaght forward job - under kitchen units & sanitary ware. Porcelain is more expensive than ceramic and marble/slate/natural stone more expensive again. But bear in mind all these guys are quiet now, so you should def. get a good price - especially given your qty.

If it's all the tiling in the house I'd try and get an overall price. Work out the sq meterage though to make sure you don't get done.

Please don't go with the cheapest price just for the sake of it. A good tiler is going to be more expesive for this job,but you will get what you pay for. Your tiler must have full confidence in laying porcelain. He must also advice you on the right adhesive and grout to use with it. In limerick now the price ceramics is €17 p/y and porcelain depending on size and pattern is between €20 p/y and €25 p/y.

I lost a job the other day to a guy who was charging €12 p/y for travertine. He was gonna use regular grey rapid set for this even tho there was under floor heating there.

Regardless of how quite things get my prices won't go down. It still costs the same to live ya know. Ask to see work the tiler has done in porcelain to make sure the floors look perfectly flat and that the previous clients have had no problems with the job.

mr bishi is on the ball, accurate, you pay peanuts you get monkeys

thanks everyone - that's some good advice. noted!

thanks again.

I just received a quote to tile "about 12 sq yards" divided over a small apt kitchen floor and utility room floor. The tile is a small square mineral tile. I have been quoted €350 for labour and materials for laying. That strikes me as high - no? Please advise.

Thank you,
Beans

If anybody can tell me how much of that €350 is likely to be due to cost of materials, I'd be very grateful.

Thank you,
Beans

Mr Bishi...got high gloss kitchen for new build....what sort of tile would you recommend for kitchen and connecting sunroom(via double doors)...also got large hallway and connecting utility/ wc....any help greatly appreciated!!! Regards J

I got 16sq yds done for €300 - excl supply of grout/adhesive/trims. TBH a price per sq yd isn't usually applicable for such a small area. It took my tiler a day to do this and he had to come back the second day to grout. Think you got a good price TBH.

The price for tiling is ususally given per sq metre/yard but what if original tiles need to be first removed does this add much extra?

How much would you say it would cost to remove shower doors, strip away old tiles from behind corner shower unit (about 5sqmetres), replace plasterboard about half way up (1 metre or so) and retile same 5sqm?
Thanks

In my experience, tilers will do very little other than lay tiles - mine were even complaining about sweeping the floor and refused to put their rubbish in the skip outside the front door! Removing old tiles is hard work and I don't know if the tiler would replace the plasterboard. The tile shops usually have cards of good guys (guys who have usually done showrooms for them) - best to ring around.

Beans, if he is a good tiler thats a fair price,How much would you say it would cost to remove shower doors, strip away old tiles from behind corner shower unit (about 5sqmetres), replace plasterboard about half way up (1 metre or so) and retile same 5sqm?
Thanks
about 250 dont use plasterboard , use wbp ply​

Back