Should a painter be insured?

micamaca

Hi folks,

just looking into getting the exterior of the house painted. A friend of ours mentioned that any person doing work on your property should be insured because if they injure themselves, they could come after you for damages.
Is this true? How can you be sure someone is insured? Do you ask to see papers or get them to sign a waiver???

Our neighbours across the road are getting someone's friend to paint their house for 450 euros. It's a three bed-roomed semi like ours. Does this seem too cheap? From reading other threads about interior painting, it seems to cheap to me!

I see people mentioning that you have to prepare the house before you have it painted. What sort of preparation are we talking about? Cleaning of cobwebs and dirt etc?

much obliged for help,

Mica

You should check that any tradesman doing work on your property has their own insurance. If they don't, then they can claim against you in the case of any accidents on your property.

Hi Seagull,

that's exactly what I would be afraid of. How do you check? Do you ask him to bring a copy of his policy documents? Or to show some proof from the insurance company?

thanks... m

You can ask for a copy of his insurance or a policy number and name of insurer. then confirm with them.

I rarely get asked for my insurance which I find very strange, your home is your biggest asset after all.

That's great Davyjones. Nice and clear. At least now, I feel I won't be unreasonable asking for such a thing.

I am painfully aware that this house we overpaid for is our biggest asset :(

i dont think its the painter injuring themselves you need to be worried about! they are not obliged to insure themselves against injury. Its public liability you need to make sure they have.

Public liability...got it, thanks.

Here's one I asked earlier :). What preparation should be carried out to a the exterior of the house before it is painted and who should carry it out?

I would rather get this done well one time, than have to pay for it twice. As my mother-in-law says, I'm too poor to buy cheap :D.

afaik a tradesman cant insure himself so insurance is for any damage to property or injury to someone else

Anyone working on your property must be insured otherwise you are taking a silly risk.

Public liability covers your property and all other persons and property affected by the works.
Employers liability covers all persons employed to carry out the works. Sub contractors must have their own insurance.

Tradesmen can insure thier person, sole trading tradesmen often don't insure themselves as it is expensive. It they fall off a ladder in your house, you could be liable for the personal injury costs.

There was a scam a number of years ago where guys in a van turned up fitting chimney cowls ( anti-bird nesting thingys), accidently falling off the ladder in the course of the work and claiming from the household. Most people settled by cash payments rather than claiming off insurance.

Exactly the same if you get burgled and they break a leg falling out a window - you are liable.

I've just checked our policy regarding the public liability. We are not covered for liability incurred by people in our service. So that rules that out.

So the painter should have public liability insurance and be insured personally as well...I think we may end up painting the house ourselves :(

If anyone can recommend a painter in North Dublin, who does a good job and who is insured...I would be grateful to hear from you.

Thanks for the replies so far. It's a big help.

m

We are not covered for liability incurred by people in our service. So that rules that out.

It rules out your insurance paying them in the event of a claim, it does not stop them claiming from you.
Leo

It rules out your insurance paying them in the event of a claim, it does not stop them claiming from you.
Leo

Sorry, yes that's what I meant. It rules out our being covered in the event of a claim, i.e. we would be liable. Badly stated on my part.

My husband thinks he has found somebody for the job, with insurance and references (still to be checked out) and who knows about preparatory work. Maybe our luck is changing :)

you would only be liable in any event if there was neglect on your behalf, the insurance mainly from a householders perspective is to cover any property damage or personal injury that may be caused by the tradesman.

good painters do their own prep work ,they know what is needed

Back