Protecting wall from garden tools

Gordanus

Hi all,

am pondering a question. My garden tools live in the utility room and at present are just leaning against a wall (garden fork, shovel, grass trimmer etc). This makes sweeping the floor a pain and I've ordered a device to hang them from. But I'm wondering if hanging them against the wall will damage the paintwork (other people in the house won't be careful when replacing them on the hangers!) and what can I do to protect the wall.

So
1. Just paint it with gloss/washable paint and re-do it from time to time.
2. Glue some floor tiles/vinyl to the wall and never replace it (it'd be as big a job as removing tiles, I think)
3. Hang floor tiles/vinyl from a batten and nail it against the wall, giving the floor tiles/vinyl a frame. But the room can get very steamy and would I end up with horrible fungus/mildew growing there?

Any ideas or suggestions? The wall is an outside wall and I think it's just plain concrete. It's an extension built maybe 10 years ago. Thanks!

It's odd to store those items in a utility? Have you no garden shed?

I'd go with option 2) but use wall tiles, they're pretty easy to put up. In your case you don't even need to cut them. Just do a square/rectangle, from floor to height of tools. You can easily wash the wall then when needed.

Worry about removal later.

Glue/hang/nail a length or two of Foam Pipe Insulation Lagging Wrap Roll - couple of € per 1m

Thanks, Bronte - do you mean ordinary ceramic tiles? I was avoiding this idea because I thought they'd just crack if the shovel hit against them fairly hard.

No garden shed because it's a very small garden at the back. Larger front garden, but don't think the neighbours would appreciate a shed appearing there! (Inner city location)

I was avoiding this idea because I thought they'd just crack if the shovel hit against them fairly hard.

)

I think your family need training on how to handle garden implements. Based on what you've just posted I don't think I'd let any of them near a shovel :eek:

I think your family need training

Alas, yes, I can't even get them to clean the shower doors after showering! Teenagers...humph! :D

I was looking for something that doesn't look too obvious, Crugers - if it was a shed I'd go for the pipe lagging, but it has to be easy to clean in the utility.

Self-adhesive vinyl floor tiles seem to be out as they'll just fall off the walls, according to my research on the internet. The corners turn up and the glue isn't strong enough. :(

Onward!

Thanks, Serotoninsid, but I want ease of access. A box (not rainproof? your second link)
I'm unsure whether the two examples given are rainproof or not. I have something similar that isn't and just have a small sheet of tarpaulin that covers everything over - keeping everything dry.

...would end up with all sorts of stuff tossed in. Family life, you know.
Well, that principal applies to space and storage space generally i.e. if you're not disciplined, all sorts of crud and rubbish ends up in storage.

Personally, I'd much prefer to have that stuff outside than taking up space in a utility room within the house.

Try screwing a sheet of perspex to the wall -

The perspex will blend in with the wall colour and will protect your wall. We have it in the utility room as we store ironing board, brooms, mops etc. there and even if you're careful, the walls will get scratched.

I like the perspex idea. The wall panels would be an expensive way of doing it, they are prone to crack and break with a well aimed wallop of something hard which is not generally a problem in a bathroom but shovels etc might just do it.

I wouldn't be doing anything really permanent like tiles. On a smaller scale I have frying pans hanging from hooks in the utility room and to stop them damaging the wall where the touch it I stuck on some of that padding you put on the ends of chair legs/tables/furniture to stop it scratching wooden floors. You can buy it in big pieces and cut it up but I still think the perspex is a better solution for a large area.

Polycarbonate sheeting will be tougher than perspex which can shatter.

Reminder: Please keep all posts providing/seeking recommendations for suppliers in the Recommend tradesmen and suppliers forum.

Thanks all! I think the polycarbonate sheeting will answer, and be easy to remove should mildew build up behind it. I'm astonished and grateful at you all putting the time in to answer my query in such a short space of time - so thanks again!

Back