Singapore....hotels & sights recommendations

Perplexed

I'm having a 2 night stopover in Singapore and looking for hotel recommendations. Preferably reasonably priced hotels. Seems quite expensive there!
Also must see sights

Hi.

We stayed in The Fairmont (formerly The Raffles Plaza.). It was really nice and perfectly located for the sights and shopping.

Sights: Hop on Hop off Bus taking in Singapore Botanic and Orchid gardens.

Shoppin: Orchard Road (not cheap though)

I stayed in Furama City Centre Hotel a few years ago; cost about €70/night which is ok if you are only staying 2-3 days which is enough time to spend in Singapore anyway

Singapore is a really nice city, very clean, people very friendly. It is totally unlike any other asian city you will ever vist; you would almost swear you were in Boston or Chicago.

In addition to the hop on hop tour, visit Singapore Zoo, it is one of the best in the world.

There are loads of shopping centres, not that I was interested in them

The airport really impressed me some years ago when we had a couple of nights stopover in Singapore on our way to Oz.

Spotlessly clean and a bowl of sweets on the desk as you went through passport control.

The other thing, which was great, was a street vendor running after Mrs K as she had left some small change with him after buying some roasted nuts.

Great. Thanks for all the info. I've heard it's very clean and organized so should be a nice break after Vietnam & Cambodia which I hear is the opposite!

I'll look up those hotels. I'm not too pushed about shopping. Prefer to see the sights.

Great. Thanks for all the info. I've heard it's very clean and organized so should be a nice break after Vietnam & Cambodia which I hear is the opposite!

I'll look up those hotels. I'm not too pushed about shopping. Prefer to see the sights.

Singapore is a bit short on sights - in my view anyway (can certainly compared to say Hong Kong or Bangkok as it's virtually all very new construction and the geography is pretty flat and boring ) .. though it is great for shopping :)

I stayed at this place recently - http://www.naumihotel.com/ ... It's a lot smaller than some of the really big hotels in town .. more like a small boutique place .. It's excellently located right beside Raffles Hotel (where one of the obligatory things to do in town is located - visit the bar and have a Singapore Sling)

The crazy new hotel which is made up of three syscrapers joined together at the top by a pool deck (which looks like a ship floating over the city) is this place - http://www.marinabaysands.com/ ... Not sure what it's like to stay in ... but the swimming pool / "Sky Park" apparently is worth visiting even if you don't stay there

Sentosa Island () is where a lot of the attractions (mostly theme park type things) are located - it's very close to downtown.

Overall it's a compact place and everything transport related is very efficient and cheap (taxis included) .. so the actual location of your hotel doesn't matter too much provided it's vaguely in the centre of town.

Perplexed, I stopped in Singapore on a trip home from Australia a few years back and stayed in a hotel on Sentosa Island. It was not cheap but was a nice contrast to hustle and bustle of the city.
In Singapore itself Chinatown and Little India are worth a wander around. One thing I didn't know about at the time is the night safari in Singapore Zoo. When I win the lotto I promised I will bring the kids there! Maybe google it and check it out.

Singapore is a nice city, clean and easy to get around but as previous posters have said I think Hong Kong or Bangkok would offer more in terms of sights.
I think someone said to me at the time it is a 'fine' city, they have fines for everything including not flushing the toilet in public loos!

[I think someone said to me at the time it is a 'fine' city, they have fines for everything including not flushing the toilet in public loos![/QUOTE]

And quite right too!

Thanks all. I'll definitely look up the suggestions. I did see the night safari for the Zoo advertised and it really looks different.

I've been to Bangkok & Hong Kong in the past so decided this time to check out Singapore seeing as I'm in the area. I've been told it's a bit sterile....which fits with some of the comments.

Raffles for a Singapore Sling/Afternoon tea was the only thing on my agenda.

Hotel suggestions all look lovely if rather expensive.. Maybe closer to the time I'll be able to pick up a last minute deal!

Back