Differences in i3 and i5 processors

redchariot

I am looking to buy a new laptop as an x-mas present to myself.

I am getting one with an i3 processor (or an i5 if I can get one at a good price) but there seems to be a huge range of different processors within these families.

For example the i3 has 370M, 380M and 2310M to name a few. Upon doing the research the 2310M seems to be the newer version but more expensive; in fact I have found i5 laptops which are less expensive (same brand)

The question I am asking is the 2310M really much better than the 370M or even better than the older i5 processors.

I will be mainly using the laptop for internet, office applications, DVDs, photos, video, watching live streaming tv. I know the i3 processor is adequate for all of this but in my experience you are better getting the best laptop that you can afford as technology moves on quickly and the more adavanced it is, the better chance you have of keeping up

the i3 processor is adequate for all of this but in my experience you are better getting the best laptop that you can afford as technology moves on quickly

Looks to me that you have answered your own query.
I consider laptops as consumables, hence buy cheap ones which are plenty for doing what you have listed. IMO the key is not to keep upgrading softwares all the time as new sw often requires more cpu that eventually the laptop will not be able to deliver.

Totally agree with Bacchus on this. Buy cheap, don't muck around with software, easier life

Back