irish water

why don't the government at least call it what it is....another tax, and a jobs for the boys club!

why don't the government at least call it what it is....another tax, and a jobs for the boys club!

Because some highly paid Consultants have told them all not to mention the 'tax' word or the 'bonus' word.

so those with no meter can use as much as they like but still only pay a set charge...im sure there will be quite a few hoses being passed over garden walls!

Might need to be a long hose! The likelihood of occasional houses being without a meter while their neighbours have them installed is slim.

Leo, you managed to make the waterhose passing comment look like a quote from me. If I was asked for a waterhose in such circumstances I'd tell the scrounger where you might place his hose.....

As regards the general point about unmetered houses, if we had to wait until every single house was metered to start, I guess it would delay everything by about 2 years, and you'll recall that our overlords (as they then were) were insisting on it.

p.s. bewildered by the level of support for SF, think the current government not getting enough credit. Steady hand on the tiller boys for the next few years.

I've finally decided that the course of least resistance is to engage with Irish Water, otherwise I'd be facing a €1200 yearly bill. By completing the form my bill will be €440 yearly (for two adults + children). The bill will be almost 60% above the €278 assessed/estimated charge because the free child allowance is insufficient.

I only intend to pay the €278.16 (€69.54 per quarter) that I'd have to pay if I didn't have a meter. This will be fine for the first three quarters as the charge is capped. If Irish Water have not adjusted the free allowance for children back towards a realistic level by the end of the capped period then I intend to just pay €69.54 per quarter and see what happens.

I've finally decided that the course of least resistance is to engage with Irish Water, otherwise I'd be facing a €1200 yearly bill. By completing the form my bill will be €440 yearly (for two adults + children). The bill will be almost 60% above the €278 assessed/estimated charge because the free child allowance is insufficient.

You are lucky to get anything for your child. I have 4 children who spend around half their time in my house and I get no allowance for them.

"p.s. bewildered by the level of support for SF, think the current government not getting enough credit. Steady hand on the tiller boys for the next few years. "

Is this a joke! Can you name one decent thing this government has done since it got into power? I cant but I can detail loads of instances where they have reneged on every single promise they made before the election. And if we had such fine leadership why is the leader hidden away ala North Korea.

Is this a joke! Can you name one decent thing this government has done since it got into power? I cant but I can detail loads of instances where they have reneged on every single promise they made before the election. And if we had such fine leadership why is the leader hidden away ala North Korea.

I can vividly recall a time (vividly, because its not long ago at all) under the previous government when we couldnt borrow, we had the IMF, the economy was in a bad way.

Now unemployment is falling (& employment is increasing - so its not just emigration), the economy is growing, we can borrow at rates as low as nil, we're replacing the most expensive of our debt, we're nearing the end of austerity. Plenty of reasons to be cheerful.

If Irish people insist on punishing the current government for the hardship we had to endure then they are very short sighted indeed. Maybe you'll say the IMF dictated all that was done, there's certainly something in that, but I dont think Ml Noonan has put a foot wrong - whether we get our 'special deal' or not wont be his fault.

Look at the alternatives, do you want FF back? - its only yesterday they were in a bunker with Cowen ignoring the EU & yer wan from Donegal Mary.... floundering around. SF??, leave it out!, that's right lads, a 3rd rate of tax will fix everything - "the rich" should pay for everything, no need people to pay for services they consume .... and you're not allowed to mention to bodies people are still digging out of bogs....we're now sanctimonious and bearing the high moral ground. Wake up SF voters, you've had your protest, you dont really want to throw away the progress do you?, you're only hurting yourself.....

i can vividly recall a time (vividly, because its not long ago at all) under the previous government when we couldnt borrow, we had the imf, the economy was in a bad way.

Now unemployment is falling (& employment is increasing - so its not just emigration), the economy is growing, we can borrow at rates as low as nil, we're replacing the most expensive of our debt, we're nearing the end of austerity. Plenty of reasons to be cheerful.

If irish people insist on punishing the current government for the hardship we had to endure then they are very short sighted indeed. Maybe you'll say the imf dictated all that was done, there's certainly something in that, but i dont think ml noonan has put a foot wrong - whether we get our 'special deal' or not wont be his fault.

Look at the alternatives, do you want ff back? - its only yesterday they were in a bunker with cowen ignoring the eu & yer wan from donegal mary.... Floundering around. Sf??, leave it out!, that's right lads, a 3rd rate of tax will fix everything - "the rich" should pay for everything, no need people to pay for services they consume .... And you're not allowed to mention to bodies people are still digging out of bogs....we're now sanctimonious and bearing the high moral ground. Wake up sf voters, you've had your protest, you dont really want to throw away the progress do you?, you're only hurting yourself.....
+1

I would never vote for SF but what exactly has FG done that they deserve praise for 'saving' Ireland? People give out about Sinn Fein but then we all sit back while the Government raids the pension funds of private individuals. If SF had even suggested that, there would have been riots.

"p.s. bewildered by the level of support for SF, think the current government not getting enough credit. Steady hand on the tiller boys for the next few years. "

Packing Phil Hogan off over to the EU....(thank the lord hes gone from this country)

FG are the party of we will do "whatever the hell we feel like doing".

Labour are no more than the pandering lapdog to FG.

We now have Labour finally admitting in the dail today that no one will have their water turned off or pressure reduced if they dont pay their water bill.
They were pressed on the matter of IW,FG and Labour scaremongering the public and threatening to cut off water supply or reduce pressure to people who couldnt pay or wont pay.

Id like to see IW try to have everyone up in court who may decide to not pay (for one reason or another) their water charge.

Do you really think judges are going to start slapping 5000 euro fines on people who dont even have a cent left at the end of each month (Credit Union research) to pay a water bill.

Are judges going to lock desperate people up in jail because they cant pay but yet they have a human right to water in order to live and survive.Are judges going to do that??

I can see this water charge carry on bringing down Labour and quite possibly the goverment when the "real water charge bills" are sent out next year.

It will be interesting to see how many people tun up in Dublin on Saturday at 2pm for the IW/Water Meter protests due to be held outside the garden of rememberence.Ive no affiliation to this protest but Id be curious to see how many people turn up and what sort of message they get out.

www.right2water.ie

I wonder will RTE News give it any coverage??
TV3 probably will though and so too will Vincent Browne.

Is more or less every developed country in the world run by Dick Turpin??, with the audacity to charge for something that costs money to source, clean & deliver? Or are the Irish people uniquely blessed that God has ordained that they, uniquely, dont need to pay?

I agree that hardship cases have to be taken into account, and I've no problem with realigning Social Welfare to take account of new costs, but I absolutely believe in the principle that user/polluter pays.

The unavoidable reality of protests is that if the government caves to them then ALL the burden will fall on the tax payers. I'm sure the distributors of Dutch Gold would rejoice, I wouldn't.

I can vividly recall a time (vividly, because its not long ago at all) under the previous government when we couldnt borrow, we had the IMF, the economy was in a bad way.

If Irish people insist on punishing the current government for the hardship we had to endure then they are very short sighted indeed. Maybe you'll say the IMF dictated all that was done, there's certainly something in that, but I dont think Ml Noonan has put a foot wrong - whether we get our 'special deal' or not wont be his fault.

Look at the alternatives, do you want FF back? - its only yesterday they were in a bunker with Cowen ignoring the EU & yer wan from Donegal Mary.... floundering around. SF??, leave it out!, that's right lads, a 3rd rate of tax will fix everything - "the rich" should pay for everything, no need people to pay for services they consume .... and you're not allowed to mention to bodies people are still digging out of bogs....we're now sanctimonious and bearing the high moral ground. Wake up SF voters, you've had your protest, you dont really want to throw away the progress do you?, you're only hurting yourself.....

Massive +1

I really don't get some of these posters who moan about everything as if somehow the country is in a worse state now than it was under FF. SF policies are just populist and completely impractical but so long as they remain unlikely to have to back up such statements with actual action they'll continue with this.
A lot of people tend to brush over the fact we are still borrowing to pay our bills. Would those complaining about water charges live their own life by borrowing money every day to pay their bills? I don't think so.

FG have lost the run of themselves in under three years in power (it took FF almost three terms to become as arrogant). I've lent my vote to FG since 2002 however that facility has been withdrawn this year, and forever more. Unfortunately that leaves me with no one to vote for . . do I spoil my vote and be counted as an idiot or not vote and be counted as apathetic? Hopefully another political option emerges.

As mentioned before; unemployment is dropping and the economy is growing. Would this have happened with a different govt at the helm ? I don't believe so. Our current minister(s) of finance have done a relatively good job in the most dire of situations. Personally I've been directly affected through increased taxes and reduced services. I'm no fan of austerity.

I'm also amused about the criticisms of Enda Kenny. I don't care about how hidden or otherwise he is. Do we really need to see a Taoiseach in every news report? (That's what we have a President for!). I don't care how many gaffes he makes. I don't care about how stupid he might look in photographs. I don't care about his cringeworthy soundbytes. ("I'm signing the contract" etc). The end product is what counts.

In the past we've had very charismatic leaders who were all things to all men (thinking specifically of Haughey & Aherne) and that didn't work all that well for us...

Back