Climate Control - is it a "must have"?

frash

I currenly have a Passat with climate control & need to change it for a 7 seater.

I'm thinking of an S-Max but the basic model doesn't have climate control - only air conditioning.

Just to be clear climate control allows me to set the temp in the car & it will stay at that temp. Air conditioning just blasts out cold or hot air but doesn't self regulate.

I've gotten so used to climate control that I'm almost considering it to be a "must have" in the new (to me) car.

Am I being daft? Is air con just as good?

Daft.

Air con wont "just" blast out hot or cold air as if there is no range in between. If you get too cold turn it up a bit.

Isn't there an auto setting on air con that when the temp drops below the required temp it automatically comes on?... sort of like the thermostat in your house?

As far as I'm concerned, Climate Control has multiple zones (Driver/Passenger and maybe even rear passengers) whereas Air-Con is just one zone (the entire cabin).

Depends on the car. We have a car that you can turn off the passenger/drivers side. (Air Con)

I wouldn't consider climate control essential but you would definitely need air-con. You can just leave the air con on continuously and if its too cold just turn up the temperature control.

and you think turning on the air con doesn't affect your mpg?
On certain cars (certain Audi / VW / Seat / Skoda diesels for example) the compressor (chiller) runs permanently; pressing the A/C On button simply changes where the air directed into the cabin comes from - fresh air from under the windscreen or conditioned air / fresh air mix from the A/C unit. It has no effect on mpg.

and the fumes & noise ? Thanks for clarifying how a window works, which is not what I asked.

Dear oh dear.

Cold air in hot air out. Very simple really.

Wow, even on the occasions when the outside temperature is 20 degrees or more opening this magic window somehow allows cold air to enter!

On a more serious note, a huge advantage of air-con is its ability to clear a misted windscreen in seconds and keep it clear in damp and humid weather. Even if that's all it did, I'd never be without it again.

Climate beats Aircon every time,

Is climate essential yes?

set the temp to 22 and auto and leave it year round.

climate will only call the ac when it needs to.

I wouldn't buy a car again withouth climate.

Opening windows is no help on a muggy day or at motorway speeds.

On certain cars (certain Audi / VW / Seat / Skoda diesels for example) the compressor (chiller) runs permanently; pressing the A/C On button simply changes where the air directed into the cabin comes from - fresh air from under the windscreen or conditioned air / fresh air mix from the A/C unit. It has no effect on mpg.

Does pressing the "econ" button not disengage the aircon compressor?

Climate beats Aircon every time,

Is climate essential yes?

set the temp to 22 and auto and leave it year round.

climate will only call the ac when it needs to.

I wouldn't buy a car again withouth climate.

Opening windows is no help on a muggy day or at motorway speeds.

Sounds like only one person sees where I'm coming from.
Will ideally try to get climate control but failing that it will definetly have air-con at least.

Thanks for the replies.

Back