BER ratings - cost-benefits

Setanta12

We're thinking about insulating the outside of our house (yes, there other options) but we are wondering as to savings-benefits of improving our BER ratings ..eg.

If our fuel-bills were EUR2,000pa and we move from C up 1 step in the BER ratings; how much is that saving in EURO ?

without getting into the science and without talking a load of environmental bull, its basically impossible for you to recoup the money you will spend in terms of a payback period if you externally insulate your house. Your kids or others down the line may see the benefit but given you are generally talking of a 5 figure output, it simply will not pay for itself in your lifetime. It should be looked at from the additional comfort perspective above most other reasons.

Thanks kkelliher.

In essence then, we're paying for a luxury - although one side of the house is like a freezer - at the end of the day, there is no payback.

Next question - do buyers pay attention to energy-ratings? Will (outside-)insulation improve the BER ratings?

Thanks kkelliher.

In essence then, we're paying for a luxury - although one side of the house is like a freezer - at the end of the day, there is no payback.

Next question - do buyers pay attention to energy-ratings? Will (outside-)insulation improve the BER ratings?

given in Ireland no account has really ever being paid to the state of a house when putting a value on it for sale (given the drive for location, location, location) I dont believe BER will make any difference to house sales for buyers. I am sure there are people who do look at it but in the main I would say no.

Most people look at a house as a blueprint and will intent changing it to meet their needs and taste so renovation generally will take place anyway.

You should start your calculation consideration by comparing apples with apples. If you externally insulate the outside of your house then it will in all likelihood be toasty. If your currently spending 2K on heating (or is that light, heating, hot water a year - in which case you need to find out what you pay for heating only) a year and one side of the house is a freezer then you would need to increase you heating in order to make the uninsulated house similarly toasty.

That might well give you a payback

I'd agree that there's no point in insulating if you're selling - you'll never recoup since folk by with heart rather than head typically.

If you're staying then I'd certainly consider draughtproofing first since this causes colossal loss and is frequently quite cost-minimal to rectify.

If you had a particular room which was one you wanted to use but was freezer-like you could consider insulated slabs installed internally. It's messier, but cheaper and suitable for doing in smaller quantities. You might find it worthwhile doing downstairs and leaving the bedrooms out - where it's less important.

Back