New build - benefits of using Quantity surveyor?

Bazil500

I've recently gotten planning permission and am looking at the options to start the build.

I've been told that getting a good quantity surveyor (QS) to fully cost the build is a good starting point and can save money down the line. How? Has anyone any experience of using a QS and was it worthwhile?

Can anyone tell me what does the QS do and how much do they cost?

Hi, I am a QS.

The QS's job is to manage the money on building projects. Whether this is for the client or the contractor. A good QS will be able to give you a good budget at the start of the job and so long as there are no major changes during the project that should be the cost of the work.

When it comes to getting prices for the various elements of work a QS should be able to source good subcontractors and tell you when you are getting good value when the prices come in.

A fee would depend on the size and complexity of the house and the level of involvement you would require.

I am also a qS

To put it simply a good quantity surveyor will at all stages give you current cost certainty and will be able to give you advise on the cost of changes you might want to make etc etc. They are also better situated to deal with contractual matters and contractors valuations and claims.

As stated fee depends on service required.

Stage 1 is generally the cost plan
Stage 2 is generally precontract - bill of quantities/tender process
Stage 3 is generally post contract - contractors valuations / variations
Stage 4 is generally final account

best of luck with your project.

Thanks for your input folks. I'm meeting QS tomorrow to discuss further. Sounds like the right approach... Cheers

I met with the QS and he didnt really have a lot of experience which did not give me a lot of confidence. He could'nt explain to me what value he would add. He did speak about the bill of quantities but again was not able to qualify the benefits of this.

I presume to complete the bill of quantities a build spec is required to go with the plans. I dont have a spec at the moment as have not gotten to that level of detail. Who would typically help with the build spec, is this something the QS would do prior to producing the BOQ?

Thanks for your help - KKelliher & Joker

We had plans to renovate a small office ..budget £25k MAX .QS was called by the architect to do Approx estimate to simple plans .Produced a few numbers on one A4 sheet with no back up evidence and sent bill for £450 .The work could all have been "off the top of the head " .
Am I being overcharged ?

Hi NJA

With regards to overcharging you may want to consider the professional fees in terms of what you are receiving rather than the labour/effort in producing it. Of course anyone could produce an estimate off the top of their head, and they may even produce the right figure - the issue is - what if it's the wrong figure, and you have invested time and money based on this. What is your recourse if you don't take professional advice?

For example a QS, assuming he is Chartered and offering professional services, will have undertaken a lengthy qualification route, will be regulated by a professional body and will (should) be backed up by some Professional Indemnity Insurance.

In producing, say, an estimate for you he may not have made much effort but you are paying for:-

1. The benefit of having an estimate you can rely on (in certain cases you may be borrowing money based on this too - and the bank will value the input of a professional 3rd party)
2. The experience of that surveyor, statistically he is more likely to make the more accurate estimate than the guy off the street.
2. The knowledge that if the professional is negligent and you suffer a loss arising from that that you could follow a complaints procedure (governed by his regulatory body) or even take him to court in the knowledge that his PI insurance should cover the awarded compensation.

When you consider this against £450 you may think differently. Of course different QS will charge different amounts and its a fairly competitive market now - you can always get a few quotes.

Back