Need to cancel a SEPA transfer. How?

Newbie!

I recently changed banks and some of my standing orders hadn't gone through by the date i needed them to. Today, I manually transferred money to one of my payees and now i noticed that the standing order is now working so they have been paid in duplicate. I have called my bank and they say they cannot cancel my manual payment and I need to call the recipients bank. Can anyone confirm if that is correct?

Yes they are correct I'm afraid. Been there done that - luckily got my funds transferred back.

Ok, just want to be sure before I go on some mad charade with the other bank.
thanks.

Just talked to the recipients bank and was told that it is not possible to cancel a transfer and I have to contact the recipient and ask them to return the money. This is really awkward now.

Oh sorry, I misunderstood. It's such a pain. I did that a few years ago not realising that BOI had put a decimal point in the money field and you no longer had to put the amount in in cent. Paid €10,000 to Bord Gais for a €100 bill!

As far as I know, under SEPA, banks have the facility to recall a payment. Maybe this is for Direct Debits and not Credit Transfers. I suggest you check with IPSO before raising this with your bank.

Oh sorry, I misunderstood. It's such a pain. I did that a few years ago not realising that BOI had put a decimal point in the money field and you no longer had to put the amount in in cent. Paid €10,000 to Bord Gais for a €100 bill!
:eek:

Back