Can't connect to internet from laptop

Jesper

Hi everyone

I have had my Dell Inspiron 15 laptop for almost a year now - once or twice over that time I've had trouble connecting to internet wirelessly but shutting off and on the router took care of that.

Last Fri I tried to get online but I wasn't able to access the wireless network at home. We have a PC upstairs where the router is. We can still get online via the PC with Eircom broadband. When I use the laptop it says there are no wireless networks available. Previously there would be a range of networks to choose from but the laptop automatically connected to the home network.

I've re-set the router but to no avail. This is the extent of my IT knowledge. What else should I try to do? The fact that we can get still get online via PC would suggest the problem is with the laptop.

Any help at all is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

two questions to start:
- is the PC on the wireless network or is there a cable to the router.
- when did the laptop last work with the wireless network and what has changed that you know of since.

Hi tiger

Thanks for replying.

1) there is a cable to the router

2) it last worked on Thur night, as normal - turned the laptop on again at home Fri night. When I tried to get onto internet it said that there are no networks available.

One other thing, I took the laptop upstairs to where the PC is and plugged the yellow ethernet cable into the laptop but that didn't work either. It said there was limited connectivity.

Thanks

Could be that your built-in wireless router has given up - happened to me. I purchased a wireless adapter (really small and dinky) for €30 from PC World and use that now instead.

Jesper,

The same thing happened to me before and it was the built-in wireless router. As ACA said, they are cheap little things to buy and it did the trick for me!

thanks for the replies ACA and LizaC - I'm surprised that the built-in wireless router would be gone already? Or am I being naive??

OK, so I need to pick up a wireless adapter.

Many thanks

it aint the wireless if this statement is true " I took the laptop upstairs to where the PC is and plugged the yellow ethernet cable into the laptop but that didn't work either. It said there was limited connectivity."

Hi tiger

Thanks for replying.

1) there is a cable to the router

2) it last worked on Thur night, as normal - turned the laptop on again at home Fri night. When I tried to get onto internet it said that there are no networks available.

One other thing, I took the laptop upstairs to where the PC is and plugged the yellow ethernet cable into the laptop but that didn't work either. It said there was limited connectivity.

Thanks

Don't be so quick to suspect the WiFi is faulty and not just disabled.
The fact that it did not work when you plugged in the LAN lead directly would lead me to belive that there is more amiss.

If you are computer literate go into your control panel and make sure all devices are turned on esp. WiFi device and LAN card.
If not computer literate then just do a system restore, back to a date when you definatly know it was working.
See how you are fixed then........

On WinXP
System Restore: Start->Programs->Accessories->System Tools->System Restore

Have you checked your wireless route to make sure the wireless is still enabled ? From your PC, open your browser and go to http://192.168.1.254 and check the wireless is enabeld. If it is then I would check the wireless device on the laptop - control panel, system, go to hardware tab and devices - look for wireless there and ensure its enabled, if not enable it, try updated drives and if still no joy then purchase a new wireless dongle for your laptop

Hi Sparky and paddyc - the laptop is at home so will have a look when I get home - thanks for the advice

HFrom your PC, open your browser and go to http://192.168.1.254 and check the wireless is enabeld.

NB.:
AFAIK most routers will have different IP's for thier internal network, so therefore I think Paddyc's address will only work on "Netopia" routers.

There's a switch on the laptop that switches off the wireless. have a check to see that you didn't accidentally switch it off.

OK, here's an update.

Figured I would go the quick route and do a system restore but that didn't resolve the issue. In fact, it appears it may have caused an issue with my McAfee protection? Anyway, that's currently a side issue.

I have a netopia router and checked that the wireless was enabled which it was.

Then I took SparkRite and paddyc's advice and went into Control Panel, System, etc and checked under the devices tab. When I clicked to check on the wireless status it said Wireless Off so I clicked to turn it on and then OK to confirm this. However, immediately I was informed that Microsoft Management Console (MMC) was encountering difficulties (or some such) and needed to shut down without letting my change take effect. I tried to make the change another couple of times but each time was met with the same response.

It appears to me that the difficulty with wireless connectivity has been isolated? If so, is there some way to resiolve the MMC issue and allow the wireless to be turned on?

Thanks for all help so far.

Best thing to do is get the exact error from MMC on the laptop, and google it from your desktop PC and that should hopefully give you things to try

If you get no joy from that, then look for drivers for your wireless card from the website of your laptop manufacture, download it, copy to your laptop and run that, it cold be that the wireless card is dead though.

Back