Film of grease on Car Windscreen

MANTO

Hi All,

I have had a film of grease on my windscreen for the past few weeks. i have tried everything to get rid:

Cleaning everyday with window cleaner - goes for a while..
Changing windscreen water
Using new solution in windscreen water after emptying out

I park in same areas and cannot find anyconditions causing it - if anybody could shed any light it would be great,

Could it be the wipers?

Thanks
M

Change the wiper blades - there's probably grease still on them...

Clean them with a paper towel and some white vinegar. Then get a little bottle of the orange washer bottle additive (don't know the name) from a petrol station and add it to your washer bottle.

And dont use fairy liquid or anything similar - not good for the paint work of your car

Dont laugh at this but I used to drive from one end of the country to the other and horrible conditions and when the windscreen would get greasy like you describe ( caused by road grime)
The only solution was, when it was drizzling, go get a bottle of Coke ( Coca-cola ) turn off the wipers and empty about half the bottle on the windscreen letting it pour from the top and flowing down. Give it a few seconds and put the wipers going. Repeat the process with the second half of the coke... Now this will make you paint look dirty but it will wash off. Trust me on this.. I laughed when I was told about this trick at first. Now I do it regularly.. Like a new windscreen after treatment ;)

When cleaning the windscreen you need to clean the wipers at the same time, otherwise you're just spreading the dirt.

Dont laugh at this but I used to drive from one end of the country to the other and horrible conditions and when the windscreen would get greasy like you describe ( caused by road grime)
The only solution was, when it was drizzling, go get a bottle of Coke ( Coca-cola ) turn off the wipers and empty about half the bottle on the windscreen letting it pour from the top and flowing down. Give it a few seconds and put the wipers going. Repeat the process with the second half of the coke... Now this will make you paint look dirty but it will wash off. Trust me on this.. I laughed when I was told about this trick at first. Now I do it regularly.. Like a new windscreen after treatment ;)

+1 - this works great for an emergency.
Are you parking under any trees? guess it wouldn't really affect at this time of the year without leaves there would hardly be sap falling on the car.

The car is parked underground & still having the same problem, I have even changed the rubbers on the wipers,

I am going to order a bottle of the solution suggested above :)

Thanks for the replies.

Have you been having car washed in automatic machine at garage? if you get the wash and wax, it will leave a film on the windscreen. Best bet is to wash windscreen and wiper blades with sponge and proper car wash solution. Until you do this there is no point in adding anything to washer bottle asit will only give you temporary relief

Have you been having car washed in automatic machine at garage? if you get the wash and wax, it will leave a film on the windscreen. Best bet is to wash windscreen and wiper blades with sponge and proper car wash solution. Until you do this there is no point in adding anything to washer bottle asit will only give you temporary relief

Randy, thats exactly where its come from - no more wash & wax for me. Its being doing my head in - thanks a million :)

Back