What's the best tv for max €1200

marty004

Hi Folks,
Haven't purchased a tv in 5 years and unfortunately my latest one has packed it in.
Now I'm into a world of the unknown.
Plasma, LCD, Series 6's, Contrast Ratios, Bravia Engines, Sync this, Dynamic that!!!!

Could someone perhaps give me a highly recommended tv within this price range then I can go have a look at it rather than going into a store and getting fooled by a sales guy and buying rubbish.

Last store I went to they recommended the sony kdl40v4000 and that it had won some awards.

ps. I only want a 40"/42" screen.

Thanks in advance,
Martin

i bought the sony kdl-40W4500 - 100hz motionflow recently. fantastic telly and a good looking addition to my sitting room. the 40W4000 is quite a bit cheaper I think.
also bought a sony home cinema system and sony blu ray player. the sound system is really great for listening to music and really improves the watching a movie experience with that big cinema effect sound.

You shouldnt need to spend that much, you could spend around 800 on a 42" and get a home cinema kit also for that. Just make sure it has full HD, after that, what else would you need?

One thing that I would say, dont buy a plasma tv now. 3 out of the 4 tv manufactures are ceasing manufacturing plasama screens this year.

I bought a Samsung Series 6 40 inch tv just after christmas. Its a fabulous telly, its a rose black colour with a tint of red through it. think it looks a bit better than a lot of the competition. its full HD 1080p and 100hz and a contrast ratio of 40000:1. it cost me €900 in the after christmas sales. i have a sony home cinema system working off it and the sky+ box and the sound is fab.

agree with djsim not advisable to buy a plasma, the greens are going to try and ban them!!

single best tv out there.

although i bought a pana 37 plasma last year and pimped it up. not a bit dissapointed.

How exactly do you "pimp up" a TV? Did you spray it with gold paint? :)

Should have said pimped it out then?!

Seriously though I would also go for the Sony 40W4500. For the best price I would also recommend you buy it from Richersounds Belfast. See [broken link removed]
Sony Centres in the Republic are simply too expensive.

I got a 40w4500 for 1299 from DID about a month ago. Additionally they had a offer where with purchases > 1,000 you get 10% back in vouchers. Not sure if they still offer this... might be worth checking out.

Back