Key Post Get a Visa Electron card now - they are being phased out

Status
Not open for further replies.
.....so there you have it!

Advertising rules
Industry insiders believe having one free payment method allows airlines to advertise cheap rates without having to include charges most customers pay.

Rochelle Turner head of research at Which? Holiday said offering the Visa Electron payment option was important for airlines and their marketing:
"My understanding is that if they didn't have this one free vehicle offer, then they would have to reduce their rates."

Advertising Standards Authority rules say where an advert shows a price it should include all non-optional charges.

The Office of Fair Trading says, if the charges are unavoidable and foreseeable, they should be included in the headline price.

Here's what Michael O'Leary had to say about the Visa Electron Cards. *we are shortly changing to a Mastercard - Pre-paid*. He said this on the Marian Finucane show on Saturday morning last. Listen to a playback of her discussion with Michael O'Leary here:-

pod-v-281109-51m49s-marianleary.mp3. He made the comment about the card at approximately 21 minutes into the interview. Marian didn't know that these cards could be used from Ireland. Guess she's not in touch with AAM. She doesn't know what she's missing.:D

Ryanair already have their own branded credit card from MBNA which is not exempt from the charge.
Ryanair also do a prepaid mastercard again it is not exempt.

Yeah two Ryanair staff tried to sign me up for the MBNA card last weekend and seemed taken aback when I asked why it wasnt exempt from the charges.

Michael definitely mentioned they were going to accept a new prepaid Mastercard, but we'll have to wait and see how he's going to make money on it.

It seems that not all providers are dropping it immediately:
Abbey and Travelex have told BBC Radio 4's Money Box their cards will not feature Visa Electron by next year.
But another banking group, HBOS said it would continue to offer the card.
[...]
Visa Europe said it would be phased out as its unique features were now available on normal bank debit cards.
Abbey - which along with HBOS is one of the few banks which still offer it - said it will not be issued to new customers from 14 December.
And Travelex will not be offering Visa Electron on its pre-payment card from next year.

Michael definitely mentioned they were going to accept a new prepaid Mastercard, but we'll have to wait and see how he's going to make money on it.
His current prepaid Mastercard has an annual fee of €85. That will make him a few bob.

I Googled Pre pay Mastercard and it directed me to a site and it did not say anything about 85 euro charge. From a very fast read of the site you have to top up these cards in local shops, the same ones that you use to pay for your tolls etc. These seemed to be a big long list of conditions and I will have to have a look again!

Have a look at details here as to how to get a prepaid mastercard
[broken link removed]
Has anyone used any of the options?

I have a Visa Electron card from www.entropay.com which worked on Ryanair. I have now also a pre-paid Mastercard from the same site which I haven't tried yet but will work with Ryanair into the (hopefully medium to far) future.

It seems that if you manage to get a Visa Electron card before they're phased out, it will no longer save on Ryanair charges:

From the Sunday Express last weekend:

RYANAIR passengers who book flights using a Visa Electron debit card face charges of £5 each way from the start of next year.

This method of payment has until now been free, and many who fly regularly with the airline have applied for such cards specifically to avoid having to pay this levy.

(I presume the £5 will be €5 here)

Yes.

Anyone that had the Entropay electron will have to get the plastic card for €7.50 once off charge.

They work alright. You just have to go thru their complex ID verification process first.

And wait for the plastic card to arrive. Their virtual Net+ card doesn't work with Ryanair, although you can use it for many other forms of online payment.

And wait for the plastic card to arrive. Their virtual Net+ card doesn't work with Ryanair, although you can use it for many other forms of online payment.

Confused. So what does work from Neteller then? IS their "Net+" different from the prepaid mastercard they offer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back