Help me choose a medium sized car

RMCF

I am totally stumped as to which car to buy in the near future.

Its either:

2009 Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi
2009 Toyota Auris Diesel
2008 VW Golf diesel

I know they are all good cars but can't decide. Any thoughts from those that know their cars?

I know someone with an Auris and they love it, though I dont think it is as popular as the Corolla was and I am not sure if they are holding their value as well?

I have just got a diesel Golf (2.0) and love it, but if you were getting a 2008 you would probably be getting the older model?

Have no idea about the focus.

What size engines are you looking at.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Engine size? Thinking about 1.6 for a diesel, although size is unimportant as long as it fits into the €156 Euro/yr tax band (which the Focus does). Not sure at the minute about the Auris and Golfs in terms of CO2/Kg. The next tax band is €302 so trying to keep the emissions as low as possible.

I am not mad on the Auris shape, but the OH likes it, plus the idea that Toyota will more than likely be more reliable than the Ford.

We currently own an 01 Golf and to be honest they are great cars. Only thing is due to their residual values, we would be getting an 08 Golf v 09s in the other cars, so that is putting us off a Golf slightly.

The new Focus Diesel is meant to be very good. I haven’t driven one but the stats are fantastic.
Personally I would rate Ford well ahead of VW from a drivability point of view. VW may just have the edge on build quality and they certainly have the brand image. The Focus would be the cheapest of the three to service. I don’t like Toyotas, I find them really boring to drive.

The interior is far superior to the Focus. I would highly recommend this car. No association to Vw. I just a happy 1st time customer.

I agree that the interior is better but not by much. The Focus will be cheaper to own and is a much better drive. That said there's not a great deal between any of the three cars listed by the OP, I just find VW a bit unreliable, expensive to own and boring to drive. I have owned both a Golf and a Passat and would never buy another.

Focus would be the choice it seems just ahead of the Golf because it is newer, will be cheaper to own and should hold its value reasonably well. I have a 2008 Golf (petrol) and I love it but servicing can be on the high side at a main dealer. The interior is also nicer than a Focus but both are nice tbh. Focus is highly regarded as being a good drive and reliable though I would avoid basic lx spec. Auris is not at the races by all accounts though I have no direct experience.

Thanks all for your replies.

We are looking like a Focus at this stage, simply because of the year younger for the same money. But I might just take a lok at a Mazda 3.

The Mezda3 is build in the same chassis as the Focus. It's basically the same car but it has a more sporty look. As far as I know it also has a better warranty.

I have not found the servicing of my Golf any more expensive than my previous cars. There are plenty of main VW dealers offering deals on servicing. My last minor service was €99 and major service was €220.

Yep, they've cut their prices considerably but parts are still expensive.

Can you give us a recent example? Just saying that VW parts are more expensive than Ford parts is not enough to back up your claim.

I'm asking for cold hard facts and figures not hearsay.

What amount of price difference are we talking about?

Are you paying for parts of equal quality?

Ring a few VW and Ford dealers yourself... and relax; we're talking about car parts here, what's the big deal?

I have not found the servicing of my Golf any more expensive than my previous cars. There are plenty of main VW dealers offering deals on servicing. My last minor service was €99 and major service was €220.

Do you mind me asking where you got a VW main dealer service for €99? I'm not doubting you but my last (minor) service was alot more albeit a different engine. (1.4TSI)

Just a clarification point re the VW Golf service for Eur199 - was delighted to hear this but unfortunately only applies to cars of 1400cc or lower :eek:(

The Focus is not only an excellent car in every way but the saloon model has a great big boot which will accomodate your granny if you are taking her on holidays :D

Just a clarification point re the VW Golf service for Eur199 - was delighted to hear this but unfortunately only applies to cars of 1400cc or lower :eek:(

Ah thats slightly different. Plus it's slightly strange that they only offer it to 2007 and older cars, i.e. those that are out of warranty. They know that those with newer cars under warranty will get them serviced at the main dealer anyway.

Back