Car navigation system/Tom Tom?

babydays

I was recently travelling with a friend abroad who had a Tom Tom installed in his car. I was very impressed with how easy it was to find the way around using it. As I'm hopeless at finding my way around and get really stressed out about getting lost. Therefore I'm thinking of investing in one. BUT I have no idea what I should be looking for!

-What are the main things that set them apart from eachother?
-What are important feature to look for?

The two below sound like good value? Are they?

Advice appreciated!

I've had a TomTom One Classic V2 for over a year and is a great system. I also have the European maps. Can recommend it highly. The first one on your list is the V3 which doesn't have the memory card slot the V2 has, but its still a great unit. I have yet to use the memory slot on mine

The maps are very important. A friend of mine spent €400 on a Tom Tom last year and it cannot bring him anywhere in the countryside as there are no townlands listed. Its brilliant around cities and towns. the Garmin have better maps for finding your way around the countryside of ireland.

Look at the maps they are based on. Systems based on Navteq maps (e.g Garmin) are far better in Ireland than systems based on TeleAtlas maps (e.g. TomTom).

I got a Tom Tom XL for Christmas.
I really wish that the person who bought it for me just left me alone and let me get the Garmin that I was actually going to buy myself.
I really find it a very poor sat nav.

From your replies and googling it certainly sounds like Garmin is the one to go for.

tosullivan, what woudl the memory card be used for? Additional maps?

Back