Dealing with dad's bank account

busymam

I have a query regarding a debt that my elderly dad ‘supposedly’ owes a bank. This is going to be long….sorry!!!

My dad is 83 years old and has two bank accounts in two financial institutions, A and B.

Account A – DSP pension paid
Account B – Private Pension

He was very independent until he had an accident in a hospital (broken leg during a routine chest x-ray). This accident resulted in him having to go into a nursing home and he is availing of the ‘Fair Deal Scheme’. It was a nightmare getting the financial institutions to release bank statements to apply for this scheme!!

His home is occupied by my daughter and her partner who moved in to care for him before his accident. They pay all the bills (electricity, gas, etc.)

As my dad was in the nursing home with mobility issues, he couldn’t physically go to the banks, but he didn’t need to, as most transactions were done automatically (payments in, payments out). When he needed money, my daughter would use his ATM card and give him the money. Everything was working fine until the ATM card snapped.

When I tried to get a replacement ATM card, Bank A insisted on seeing my dad in person. I booked a wheelchair accessible taxi for my dad for the trip to bank A, with the intention of allowing me access to his account. I had all the necessary documents (my passport, bill, payslip, letter from his consultants (stating he was compos mentis), letter from the nursing home confirming residence, etc.).

When we got to the bank they wouldn’t accept him as the account holder, as he didn’t have valid ID (his passport had expired a few weeks earlier). They refused to issue a statement as they said the account was locked pending verification of his ID.

My dad was annoyed (as was I) but we decided to let it go as it would have been too much hassle to try to get ‘official’ ID. At this stage the outgoings (Nursing Home Fees) far exceeded the incoming payments, so the balance in the a/c was rapidly decreasing. I knew at some stage the monthly payment to the nursing home would bounce back due to insufficient funds as this was much greater than the amount being credited. The nursing home was advised about the situation and promised to let me know when it happened.

This ‘bank saga’ had been playing on my mind for a few years when I got a brainwave about 4 months ago. Transfer his DSP pension and the Standing Order to the Nursing Home to Account B as I had an ATM card for this account and it works (even though it’s ancient). I contacted this bank and they were agreeable to me becoming an ‘authorised user’ (not sure what the exact term is!). They spoke to my dad on the phone and accepted that I was trying to do the best for him. I had to provide my passport, bills, proof of address, etc.

I totally understand the bank’s position re. data protection but they really should make allowances for situations that we found ourselves in. Thankfully Bank B did!!

My daughter (living at my dad’s address) got a letter from Bank A stating that my dad’s account is in arrears and that he now owes €90. I contacted them to try and resolve the situation, but as per usual, they wouldn’t talk to me….data protection, etc.

I called the number on the letter (trying to resolve the situation) and the guy was gobsmacked. The only solution he could think of was to close the account and pay the outstanding balance. But my dad can’t close the account because he’s not the verified account holder as he doesn’t have valid ID, etc., etc., going around in circles. I just want to get this sorted.

My gut instinct tells me to ignore it but I’d really appreciate any advice on the best way to proceed.

Thanks.

I think I'd write the bank a letter explaining your problem with them. And that you haven't been able to engage with them because of their attitude.
The letter just to have proof if you ever need it that you did try and engage.

Then I would ignore them, forget about them etc.

Last edited:
His out of date passport was valid photographic ID and should have been accepted. Their reluctance to deal with you both may have been more to do with the fear of "undue influence". Was your father alone with the bank official when the interview was taking place? Have you considered a Power of Attorney?

If the account was locked, as u say, what else went through to get it to 90 overdrawn?
Does it have an overdraft limit?
I would write to the customer complaints section of the bank, by reg post, and forget about it unless they engage with you.
The ombudsman wont look till u exhaust the internal complaints procedure.
Kepp well!

Oh dear it brings me back to similar issues with my poor elderly Mum. I got the bank sorted early on - to be honest I thought they were almost too flexible but it worked.

But once when trying to pay her gas bill (only because BGE or the bank had screwed up the direct debit) they wouldn't discuss the account with me since I wasn't the holder - explaining that the account holder was physically disabled and had dementia didn't help. So I said "ok fine - here are the details of the gas account and the card I want to use to pay for it - you can take the details or you can sue my mother - and good luck with that". They took the payment.

In this case I agree with others - write to them and then forget about it.

I called the number on the letter (trying to resolve the situation) and the guy was gobsmacked. The only solution he could think of was to close the account and pay the outstanding balance. But my dad can’t close the account because he’s not the verified account holder as he doesn’t have valid ID, etc., etc., going around in circles. I just want to get this sorted.

My gut instinct tells me to ignore it but I’d really appreciate any advice on the best way to proceed.

Thanks.

You don't have to close the account. Reduce the balance to 1c. If it's a deposit account wait until the interest has been credited then reduce it to 1c.

I had a very long reply typed up but lost it!! Here's a shorter version.

The account in question is a current account. Before he was admitted to the nursing home I was desperate to get a bank statement for the HSE. Eventually, they agreed to send one out after speaking to him in his hospital bed!

I know there are cases of financial elder abuse and I detest anyone who would take advantage of an elderly relative. My dad was quite clear to the bank staff that he wanted me to have access to his account as the account was eventually going to run out of funds. For example, €1500 being paid out to the nursing home and only €1000 being paid in. So the amount in the account was constantly reducing.

On the last visit to the bank, he requested a statement but they couldn't do it as his ID was never verified and his signature wasn't on file (unbelievable!!), so the account was effectively locked as nobody could access it, even though the transactions continued.......sorry if that's not making sense. I have no idea where the €90 figure has come from, as I can't get a statement...Catch 22 again!!

I did consider a power of attorney but the cost of obtaining this was very high, approximately €500.

His house insurance was due for renewal this week and I contacted them. Once again, the usual line of 'you're not the account holder, etc., etc.' However they did allow me to pay over €400 to cover the insurance.

Having an elderly relative in a nursing home is not easy.

Once again, thanks for the suggestions. I intend to write a very strongly worded letter of complaint and will mention the Financial Services Ombudsman.

TBC........

Last edited:
May I suggest that you have enough going on, this is a drama that frankly you do not need, if the account is not being used just pay off the overdrawn balance to leave it at nil and request that the account be closed by letter signed by your Dad, a closing ststement should issue at that point.

Having an elderly relative in a nursing home is not easy.

TBC........

This is very true and at a certain stage you just have to let some things go. I am a very organised person but after a few years of trying to keep up standards and keep all records tickety boo I just had to step back and decide to focus only on the important pieces. So don't be too hard on yourself.

Back