BMW problems

Hoping for some help. Have a BMW 318i 2003. For the last 2 months approx it has been giving several problems. Brought it to A BMW main dealer 3 times. The first 2 times they told me it was sensors broken and they replaced 3 (oxygen sensor near exhaust, camshaft and carb sensors). Problem with car remains. BMW say they can find no more faults with car and suggest driving the car till the problem becomes larger and thus easier for them to find but obviously more expensive for me to repair. The problems are shaking when revving (even in neutral at lights for example), occasional cutting out at junctions, and a lack of acceleration when pressing accelerator. Hope this makes sense and that I have provided enough info. Any help appreciated?

Hi

So the problem is intermittant or there all the time?
When the engine is hot or cold or both?
Do you know what BMW said the fault was originally?

Problem is there all the time. BMW said that the problem was 1 sensor the 1st time, 2 different sensors the next time, and the 3rd time they said they could find no fault and to continue driving and either hope fault would become worse or dissapear. The problems happen more significantly when engine is cold.

Ok, is it misfiring or just dead/no power?
Eg; does it struggle to get to the red line?
If there's no engine light on which means probably no faults stored it would make it much more difficult to diagnose the problem.I take it was a main BMW dealership you went to.

Possible issue here is:

1. ICV: Idle control valve: they get stuck in open/close position. About €135 for part from Main Stealers, 2 mins to fit.

2. Air Mass Meter ~€350 from Stealers, 5 mins to fit.( An indy may pick up a 2nd hand one or clean it out ).

Is the fuel emissions light coming up on your dashboard? Would expect it to. Get this sorted asap as a bad fuel mix could blow your Cat & this will cost.

BTW: for the above , been there done that. Apparently when all of the above & other parts went one by one they were all "known/common" BMW faults.! Sweet drive but reliability isn't so good once the car goes beyond 4 years.

Find yourself a good Indy who deals with BMWs with a diagnostic tool to do all of this. Where abouts are you. I can recommend one Northside & another south City centre direction. Dublin that is!

Last edited:
No warning lights

Thanks for the replies. No lights appearing on dash. The car slightly vibrates when increasing speed and also when steady on the accelerator. Brought it to the main dealer. Live on the northside. Would appreciate the independent BMW dealers number debasser. What do you mean d1983 by "getting to the red line"?

Possible issue here is:

1. ICV: Idle control valve: they get stuck in open/close position. About €135 for part from Main Stealers, 2 mins to fit.

This is an issue with the E36

2. Fuel Mass Sensor ~€350 from Stealers, 5 mins to fit.( An indy may pick up a 2nd hand one or clean it out ).

Do you mean air mass meter?

16024.....The pcv (crank case valve) gave trouble on the older E46's,i presume this being 2003 will be a valvetronic engine?

I had a 5 series bmw a few years ago and had similar problems and if I recall it was an air flow pipe that was the problem.

Back