Paint Flaking On My Concrete Pillars

freddyornot

Last autumn I spent a full day removing 40 years of paint from the pillar caps of my house using paint stripper.... I then applied about 4 coats of Sandtex .... But this week I've noticed the paint starting to flake off. What did I not do correctly? Your help would be appreciated.

There is a product you can buy which helps prevent this - it's like a primer - available in most paint shops. Then you should apply an undercoat and then the paint. This happened my sidewall and it was a big mess scraping off all the bubbled paint and applying the various layers. I think the extra cold weather last January caused it. This year the paint has remained well stuck despite freezing temperatures.

same problem here with very long front wall (black paint so looking dreadful now as white concrete showing), theres a product my dad added to the paint that gets the paint to stick to his concrete posts last year, not one bit of paint removed. Will update when he gives me the name.

We too spent a full day scraping and wire brushing the old paint off last year.....

If you apply a coat of polybond after cleaning the surface you should find that this should stop the paint from flaking off in future.

Back