How long to switch from Form 11 to Form 12 for rental income

hippy1975

Hi,

Wondering if anyone can shed any light for me,
Myself and my husband are PAYE with a small amount of rental income, for the last few years we have been registered for income tax and filing Form 11 when it should of course have been Form 12 as the amounts are well below 3,174.
So before the end of 2013 I de-registered on ROS for Income Tax and ROS shows our registration having ceased as at 01.01.2013.
However, when I went to complete the new e-form 12, the system told me I couldn’t, because I had been registered for Income Tax during that year. It was during 2013 that I cancelled the registration, but as the ROS system itself shows a cease date of 01.01.2013 I would have thought that means what it says on the tin ?
Does anyone know how this works, does it take effectively a year to switch from the incorrect form to the correct one ?
I’m thinking of completing a paper Form 12 and sending that in and hoping that it can then be sorted out that way, or would I cause further issue or confusion by doing that ?

Many thanks all

You should have ceased from 31/12/12. Ceasing from 1/1/13 means that you were technically registered for self-assessment for 1 day in 2013, and until this is fixed, your Form 11 will be listed as outstanding.

uh oh, must have been my mistake then when doing it online.

Thanks for the reply, guess I'm stuck so....

Form 12's, and paper returns in general, are for mugs if you ask me. Far safer online on Form 11's, in control of your submission, and knowing in advance what your liability is.

A long time ago I completed a form 11 instead of a form 12, now complete the form 11 online with ROS. It's easy to skip the sections that don't apply. Most of the relevant PAYE fields are automatically completed. I asked once about de-registering and someone in revenue said I was aswell staying as I was.

I've just been told by the revenue that as my rental property net income exceeds the PAYE threshold that I've been registered for Income Tax and have to move from a form 12 to from 11. Can anyone tell me what the threshold is? I can't find any reference to it on revenue.ie

Back