Tyres:What does 96H XL mean in -205/60 R16 96H XL

Re: Tyers:What does 96H XL mean in -205/60 R16 96H XL

96 is a weight rating and H is the speed rating. XL stands for Xtra Load.

XL ratings are used in MPV or 7 seaters. Due to the eXtra Load of potentially carrying 7 adults, the sidewalls of the tyres need to be stronger than those on a normal saloon car. Please do not try to save money by going for the cheaper standard tyres. You might regret it when you have to put the tyres under pressure and they let you down. You cannot put a price on child safety. Note : I do not work for a tyre company, I'm just a parent who has been buying tyres for our family 7 seater for years.

Is it a Michelin tyre:

It probably stands for Green X: [broken link removed]

Green X :

Michelin introduced the 'GREENX' logo on their newer ranges to identify energy efficient or 'green' tyres. As well as improving fuel consumption these 'green' tyres are still capable of offering exceptional levels of wear performance and wet grip.

I presume a tyre with a Load Index 96 will last longer than a tyre with a Load Index of 92?

I presume a tyre with a Load Index 96 will last longer than a tyre with a Load Index of 92?
No, a load index has nothing to do with longevity, it is an index of the maximum load a tyre can carry; LI 92 = 630kg, LI 96 = 710kg.

The bigger and heavier the car and the greater it load-carrying capacity (2,4,5,7 passangers + luggage, etc) , the higher the LI needs to be.

No, a load index has nothing to do with longevity, it is an index of the maximum load a tyre can carry; LI 92 = 630kg, LI 96 = 710kg.

The bigger and heavier the car and the greater it load-carrying capacity (2,4,5,7 passangers + luggage, etc) , the higher the LI needs to be.

I drive a Peugeot 407 hdi 2.0L that has a Kerb Weight of 1580kg- Would the LI 96 be ok?

I drive a Peugeot 407 hdi 2.0L that has a Kerb Weight of 1580kg- Would the LI 96 be ok?
Use the Permissible Total Weight (PTW) from you vehicle handbook. PTW is usually Kerb Weight (or Unladen Weight Ready for Road) + Payload. If you tow a trailer you'll need to do a few more sums. :)

I use the following formula with a safety-factor (SF) of 20% - ((PTW + (PTW x SF)) / 4 = LI

Back