Solicitor apprenticeship salary

S

setanta2

Hi,
Like many here I am considering the FE1 route shortly. I wondered about the apprentice wages - although I have found the rates on the law society pages, I wanted to know if these wages are paid while you are on the PPC I & II? Or does it depend on the company? I would be seeking an apprenticeship in the West of the country.

Thanks.

That Law Society is only a guideline, really depends on what you agree with your master. There's no obligation to pay you while you're on the PPCs

As far as I know if you are an apprentice prior to attanding the PPC1 your Master is obliged to either pay your wages while attanding the course or pay the course fees. If you don't begin employment in the office until after the PPC1 they do not have to do either. If you want to clarify this there is a booklet available from the Law Society which you can also download from their website. The scarcity of apprenticeships means that Solicitors can and do pay you the minimum laid down by the Law Society however once you have secured an apprenticeship you can always re-negotiate with your employer.

Most people get paid on the PPC2 but there are still some who don't. I know several people who didn't get paid on the first course and who didn't have their fees paid either, including me. It's not legal but the truth is there's nothing you can do other than turn down the apprenticeship and hold out for one where you'll be paid properly. I can't imagine an apprentice suing their firm for their pay, could cause some problems ever getting a job again! There are so many apprentices looking for places that people accept that kind of thing.

Back