Web Design Courses in Dublin

constrictor

Does anyone know of any good part-time/eve Web Design courses in Dublin starting in maybe January or so? Especially ones that use Dreamweaver and Flash and are more intermediate level.

Also, how's the industry for web design going these days? Has anyone got any ideas on current prices you should be charging for a web site?

Thanks!

a friend of mine recently did a bit of research into this and opted for a course with www.iactonline.com. they seemed to cover off everything she wanted but might not meet your needs

sorry, have no idea on the other stuff

If you're trying to do this as a career option, you really need to consider this very very seriously. IMHO, if you're not already in this line of work now, it's not one that can be easliy entered as a late starter.

Creating websites these days can be done very very simply (and in some cases automatically), and you're unlikely to get paid by anyone to create anything from basic to intermediate websites for them.

At the level of complexity that most websites are developed at these days, it's not really "web design" or what you're taught in "web design courses" that's used (i.e. html etc), but various types of hardcore programming languages.

And these can't just be picked up via a web design course. Just a note of caution.

ronan_d_john is correct, unless you can add some functionality to the site you don't have much to sell - there are plenty of cheap solutions for someone looking for a simple site.

that said, you might get some part time work with existing development companies to do the design on their projects (with them puting the code behind it), generate mockups for demo's/tenders etc. but you need to able to design the site ie come up with ui, branding, accessibility, usability etc.

above is how my company generally works, so we have a couple of small 'partner' (read 1 or 2 person) design companies that we call when need them, so they might work for 3 or 4 weeks on what is a 6 month dev project.

ronan_d_john is correct, unless you can add some functionality to the site you don't have much to sell - there are plenty of cheap solutions for someone looking for a simple site.

So true.
At this stage you'll never be a top designer, and there are gazillions of average ones.
The jobs are in the backend stuff, php etc...
And you need a certain aptitude for those.

Don't waste your money doing a design course, teach yourself - I know I did :) (and don't expect a career out of it)

Yea I could agree with some of the points above, but as I am already in a related industry professionally, I was more-so wanting to add web design to my industry, not start from scratch as a sole option. I'm already doing some, but wondered if it may be a good idea to advance and perfect the knowledge I have if there were any suitable or worthwhile courses.

I appreciate the suggestions of courses and feedback.Thanks!

I work in IT. Forget "web design". Learn C# and ASP.NET. They both cover website development, and with Windows Vista coming out soon, C# will be in high demand.

I am an ex-PHP programmer. I recommend you stay away from the Open Source stuff. Too many students, semi-professionals writing terrible code.

Back