Help - what to do next 10 points short of first choice course

Ultimately a degree is a degree. You can do a lot of things with it. I have a friend who did Arts doing computing work, somebody from science working in banking, teaching is another option.

Regarding scientific jobs, the government is pumping millions into science and technology. The large multinationals (Wyeth, Abbott etc.) here offer jobs primarily in manufacturing, process development. They are v. slowly setting up R&D facilities here. At the moment the bulk of irish research is done in academic institutions. Unfortunately the bulk of commercial research is done outside of Ireland.

To pursue a research career in science further qualifications beyond the basic degree would be highly recommended e.g. MSc, PhD (the so called 4th level). It is at this stage that the difference between the different biological sciences blur. At this stage you're doing it because you like it.

Looking at the points for some of the new courses in UCD I can't help but smile, pharmacology (450 points) and biochemistry and chemical sciences (330) can be entered into via science (325), all of which have the same 1st year course material i.e. the person doing science sitting beside the person doing pharmacology could both be doing pharmacology next year. With the falling interest in science at the moment the universities are cosmetically altering the desirability of different courses to draw in a percentage of higher academic achievers. The problem is that science is pretty tough and the low points don't reflect the academic ability necessary to complete it.

In my mind repeating the year to get into UCC Biochemistry (Biological and chemical sciences) would be a wasted year if there is a place in UCD available. The exact same qualification will be received and if your daughter pursues further education then it will make no difference whatsoever where the basic degree came from.

Back