Motor Car Insurance for Left Hand Drive car

The issue, I presume, is that Irish insurance companies cannot cover a vehicle which is already insured by someone else. However, the original document you have should already indicate the date of termination.

NO NO. The Issue is and always will be is the information that the Insurance Company are aware of. LHD vehicles have always commanded a premium for Insurance purposes. And all is fine until there is a claim, and then the fun starts.

NO NO. The Issue is and always will be is the information that the Insurance Company are aware of. LHD vehicles have always commanded a premium for Insurance purposes. And all is fine until there is a claim, and then the fun starts.

Generally speaking, that is true. I always pay a bit extra for my LHD and insist to have explicitly written, on the policy, that insured car is an LHD.
Smanet reported an issue apparently related to the fact that his NCB document doesn't state the date when previous policy ended, which is a different issue (I also was told to make sure that a termination date was written on the documents, or they would not be able to cover me).

Generally speaking, that is true. I always pay a bit extra for my LHD and insist to have explicitly written, on the policy, that insured car is an LHD.
Smanet reported an issue apparently related to the fact that his NCB document doesn't state the date when previous policy ended, which is a different issue (I also was told to make sure that a termination date was written on the documents, or they would not be able to cover me).

I think that I need to give more details to better understand my situation.
In my NCB, as said, there's the natural expire date of my Italian insurance.
This NCB belongs to another car with insurance in my name, that I still have in Italy (the insurance is suspended) and have the best no claim, more than 10 years.
With Bersani, I got another NCB with my actual car, but only 2 years on that.
I'm de-registering my car from Italy and cancel my actual insurance for the car I have here. (I sent plates and everything needed to my father in Italy, waiting them to arrive).
Of course I don't want to have two covers on the same car and pay for them.
The issue here is that the NCB is not from the car I want to cover here and this is creating a mess, because I have to sell my other car or demolish it to close insurance (Italian rules are really bad).
I already stated to the insurance that I will not have 2 cover on the same car, but they don't mind.
I think they want the exclusive on the NCB, also if it comes from another country.
So I'm really stuck, if they don't accept my current NCB, I have to go back to Italy, make a false sell to my father and close my insurance also for that car.
Actually I have Irish plates on, a cover that could end on 28th December if the documents are not all right.
I started to look for other covers, just in case someone else is not so strict with these rules.
I will try to send these documents anyway to Chill with the related translation and hopefully will be enough.
Thank you for your reply.

Last edited:
In my NCB, as said, there's the natural expire date of my Italian insurance.
This NCB belongs to another car with insurance in my name, that I still have in Italy (the insurance is suspended) and have the best no claim, more than 10 years.

Ok, then the situation is clear. You must close (cancel, or let expire) the italian insurance that you will use to prove your NCB. Suspended it not enough. Once you cancel your insurance with 10 years NCB, you will get the documents (attestato di rischio) that you can give to the Irish insurance company. You cannot bring documents from one insurance and claim an NCB from another one.

For the record, in Ireland you can only use your NCB once. That is, if one day you decide to get a second car and you want to insure it, you won't be able to use your NCB again, as it will be tied to the first car.

Note
As pointed out by mercman, double check that the insurance company is fully aware of the fact that your car is a left hand drive model, and, most importantly, that such detail is specified on the insurance policy.

Ok, then the situation is clear. You must close (cancel, or let expire) the italian insurance that you will use to prove your NCB. Suspended it not enough. Once you cancel your insurance with 10 years NCB, you will get the documents (attestato di rischio) that you can give to the Irish insurance company. You cannot bring documents from one insurance and claim an NCB from another one.

For the record, in Ireland you can only use your NCB once. That is, if one day you decide to get a second car and you want to insure it, you won't be able to use your NCB again, as it will be tied to the first car.

Note
As pointed out by mercman, double check that the insurance company is fully aware of the fact that your car is a left hand drive model, and, most importantly, that such detail is specified on the insurance policy.

I think it's not that clear. My NCB belongs to another car, not the one I have imported here.
Also, it's true that I can use that paper here just once, but I could also use it back in Italy, without let no one know.
The problem is to cancel the insurance, I have to sell my car or demolish it.
In Italy is not simple to close the cover and I cannot do anything from here.
Also, is that correct that I have to sell my car to get a paper that I will use once here? And no one will be sure if I close and open again with another Italian company.
This situation is getting too long and I'm going to don't have an insurance here if I don't solve it.
Thank you.

Situation is quite clear to me. NCB is "attached" to an insurance contract, which is attached to a car. Thus, if you need to get the NCB from an insurance, you must first "detach" it from the car, by cancelling the insurance. Obviously, you can't have an uninsured car, therefore the only way would be getting a new insurance contract, without NCB, for the car you left behind, and keep the NCB for the one you imported.

If you still had both cars with Italian documents, you might be able to swap the insurance covers between the two, but, due to the legendary Italian bureaucracy, I'm not sure it would be practical.

As you have written, another way would be getting rid of the second car altogether, by either selling it or scrapping it. If you have no use for it, it could be an option.

This is still the not clear (at least to me) situation.
If I close my Italian insurance, get the NCB for Ireland and start a new insurance here, who will check if I ask a duplicate of that NCB in Italy, to open a cover with another insurance or with the same insurance?
I understood very well that Ireland insurers check each other and I do not complain about that at all.
But this rule, in my opinion, should not be used also for foreigner countries.
In fact, it's crazy that I cannot drive my Italian car on vacation 'cause I need insurance here. Or more, I have to sell it.
Also, why have I to start from the last class of bonus malus in Italy? I mean, it's my home country, it's more fair to say start over in Ireland, at least here we drive in the opposite direction.
I didn't understand the reasons of Axa, but they simple don't accept no claim bonus from Italy and they state clearly on the first contact.
At this point, I like more in this way.

Hi,
I need to insure my LHD car after I register it here in Ireland, and I was wonderingif anybody knows a broker who insures this type of cars. So far I only found two insurances who would do it (Aviva and AXA), but I don't know any broker. Since there are many of them, any suggestion on who to contact first is more than welcome, thanks! :)
Hello , I have a left hand drive comercial van and is been impossible at the moment to find insurance, can you give to me some advice to get it , thanjs

Out of interest, what is the actual underwriting reason(s) for charging an extra premium for a left hand drive vehicle ?
Is it to do with repair costs or an increased risk of an accident ?

I have called six different insurance brokers / companies. The best quote I have received (they only offer comprehensive) for our 7500 Euro car, is 2500 Euros per year.

Absolutely bonkers.

I would not recommend anyone bringing a LHD into Ireland. Avoid at all costs as the insurers companies treat LHDs like they are made of uranium.

Back