What qualifies me as a member of a company under the articles?

roundtable

I've just purchased a new apartment but am not yet a member of the company which runs the block. I've spotted a clause in the company's articles which states that I cannot be a member unless I'm registered and that I cannot vote unless I've paid "every subscription and other sum (if any) which shall be due and payable to the Company in respect of his membership".

I think the use of the word "subscription" is easy enough to understand as it may be referring to a membership fee but I'm not sure about the meaning of the expression "other sum (if any)". Could this relate to the payment of service charges? I believe this clause is common in articles and I wondered if anyone in the forum can help clarify this for me.

Your solicitor should have ensured that you are registered s a member of the management company. In my case, it was just a matter of days after I moved in.

"Subscription" refers to any charges the management company may decide on. It is worded in such a way as to overcome any new charges that the management company has to pass on to the owners. Thus, it could include, where applicable, such items as management service fees, water charges, refuse charges and any other charges not included in the management fees etc.

If you have bought a brand new apartment, it may be that the builder is still the main shareholder in the management company. If you bought a previously owned apartment than you are a member of the management company but if any charges subscriptions are outstanding then your right to vote is denied.

Back