Rental property repairs - tax relief

TTI

Hi,

Are the full amounts of repairs, such as an oven repair, claimable against taxable rental income? So if my landlord repairs something in the house, is it essentially free for him to do so?

It's not free but he'll pay less tax on profits - to what extent depends on his marginal rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not free but he'll pay less tax on profits - to what extent depends on his marginal rate.

Are only a part of the repairs allowable for tax? I didn't find that in my research, only for capital expenses, so what is the rate?

Repairs are fully allowable but the figures for a landlord will depend entirely on his own personal circumstances. If the landlord isn't making a profit on the rental property through a large mortgage or some other reason, he'll not actually save anything on the repair costs - but will, instead, have a bigger loss to carry forward and offset against future profits, if any.

If the property is profitable, it'll then depend on whether he pays income tax at 20% or 40%.

There's no simple answer here although, as a tenant, I'm not sure why you need to concern yourself with it anyway.

If a landlord pays €500 for repairs on a rental property, it's €500 they should be withholding from the tenants deposit, not some lessor amount

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,

Are the full amounts of repairs, such as an oven repair, claimable against taxable rental income? So if my landlord repairs something in the house, is it essentially free for him to do so?

Another perspective in the victimless crime, free lunch genre.

Adding some detail. The lower heating element in the oven stopped working about two years ago and I have sat on it rather than rock the boat, rent raises, etc. So there was no malicious damage, etc.

It just occurred to me that I had never realised before this evening that it would be in essence free for him to get repaired.

It's not free to get it repaired. At best the landlord will save roughly half the cost of the repair in tax. At worst he won't save anything to get it repaired. Depends on his tax situation.

Back