Does BER affect the price of a house

It is a huge issue. Have a look at daft for properties for sale in Ireland at present. There is more than 50,000. I dont believe for one second that (50,000 x 200) over €10 million has been spent on BER certs in Ireland so I would guess most dont have certs and who is going to check anyway. Most auctioneers dont even check.

I'm afraid it doesn't matter what you believe or otherwise. You cannot complete the conveyance or lease of a house (legally anyway) without a BER cert as of the 1st January this year. So it doesn't matter if your auctioneer doesn't check - it is YOU that will levied with the 5000 euro fine under Article 10 of the Regulations.... however if you choose not to believe this than that is another issue!

Hi,

Im buying an investment property . it is an old country cottage and has bad insulation. If it has a bad BER can i try and get a reduction in price?
if so what sort of percentage reduction if any could i expect to get ?

any info would be great.
thanks.

you should get a reduction of about 2 grand

to get professional job of cavity wall or attic insulation
[broken link removed]
would also save on your heating bills and bring your insulation up to currant regulations

[broken link removed]
would also save on your heating bills and bring your insulation up to currant regulations

Hi Ann Marie,

Welcome to AAM.

In line with the posting guidelines can you confirm if you have any association with the recommended company?

Thanks,

Sue Ellen.

[broken link removed]

Just to let you know, these guys are really expensive compared to other companies who do the same work. Make sure you get a quote from a few different companies.

... I went from a newish timber-frame super-warm (built 2002) to a concrete block house built about 1996. Cost us a fortune to heat - first cold October/November and we went thru a thousand worth of oil. - I'd guess about 3/4K to heat properly for a year.....

Can't understand that bill either. Lived in far older houses and never had a bill like that.

to be honest if someone wants to buy house I cant see it ever been a major deciding factor in a purchase

I agree. Different BER assessors ( in an article in the paper last month ) gave the same property different ratings, so I do not think people would have much confidence in the ratings anyway, or heed them.
As someone else said, just another bit of paper, a bit of jobs for the boys.

How much does that warm fill cost?

If you ring them with the measurements of your walls they will work it out for you on the phone.

They come in a truck that has some machine that puts glue on the polystyrene beads. They drill a few holes in the walls and blow these beads in. The have cameras to look inside the walls to make sure it works. then they fill the holes so you dont even notice. It took about 4 hours i think.

Noticed the difference straight away. They might do your attic too. We didnt get that though.

It cost us €700 to do the cavity walls on a 1200sq ft bungalow so i would say more that that for a2 storey maybe.

They will be open to bargaining so definitely bargain hard .

What's the consensus in 2014 - how important is the BER rating to potential buyers?

Hoping to put our home on the market next year and are wondering if it's worth getting a pre-BER inspection done and then carrying out whatever works they recommend in order to raise the rating.

A neighbouring property, also built by the same developer in 1999, went up for sale recently with a C3 rating - would that be considered good or would it be worth it to carry out work to raise the rating to a B3 for example?

Well you have to have a Ber rating. Its a legal requirement. But you are really asking how much to spend on raising it. Its an interesting question worthy of its own thread. With more detail on the property to get advice one.

Delgirl - I got a BER cert done on my house recently. It was built in 2004, we've put extra insulation in the attic & had the cavity walls insulated. We got a C2 rating.
Every recommendation we were given to improve our rating was noted as high cost & low impact.
To be honest the report is totally non-specific & fairly useless. It's a requirement to sell your house but other than that a waste of money. I can't see any house other than very recent builds achieving an A or a B.

Back