better to be a single occuppier

Frank

Why would anyone sign up as anything other than a 1 person household?

a 2 person household is net more expensive to 2 1 person households.

or my maths is shocking

No need to conserve water as the price is fixed.

More to the point the mansion with the steam room and swimming pool pays €160 a year

Fair and equitable.

unoccupied house and water charges

i own my own house and i also own my mothers house since she passed away last year.

now my mothers house is unoccupied and using no water. i cannot see anything saying that i will get this house conservation grant of €100 for this house and end up paying €125 for unoccupied house water.

meaning i will be paying €60 for water on my own house of which i am using water every day and ill be paying double the price on my mothers house of €125 of which i use no water whatsoever . could anybody clarify this situation

Why would anyone sign up as anything other than a 1 person household?

a 2 person household is net more expensive to 2 1 person households.

or my maths is shocking

While on the face of it this might seem logical. But these things have a nasty way of coming back to bite you.

If even 20% of people dont sign up to IW or pay then IW collapses and so too does the goverment.Theres a few FG and Labour ministers and TDs suddenly only realizing that now with the figures they have thrown out there to Europe yesterday and today.20% non complience and its bye bye IW and FG/Labour.

How does 20% not paying result in the downfall of IW?

Its there in the papers with the figures and was well talked about on VB last night.

The Labour minister admitted that it could quite possibly happen as they dont know how things will actually pan out come next April.

I can't see them being allowed fail, Gov will continue to heavily subsidise until penalties take effect.

I can't see them being allowed fail, Gov will continue to heavily subsidise until penalties take effect.

If you read the leaflet sent by Irish Water the Charges to be levied are to be set By Energy Regulator after Consultation with the public.

Who then has given Government the power to set the charges?
Irish Water are supposed to be a stand alone entity?

It just gets messier and wafflier and untruthful as we go on.

You couldn,t make this up !

I absolutely understand and appreciate the charge system based on usage and number of occupants. However, while water "conservation" is touted as the main reason for this system of charging, the whole basis behind the need to introduce the charge has been touted as the poor infrastructure currently in place. Infrastructure is a capital and maintainence cost and has no direct relationship with water usage.
While I agree that there is a need to repair the current system and ensure that it provides clean water to all, I don't see why this cost should be allocated to water usage. What is the actual cost to the state of 1 extra litre of water once the infrastructure is in place? Surely this cost must be extremely low and may not be worth the associated expense of metering every home, sending out bills etc!! Is water actually a scarce resourse in ireland or are we merely now paying the price of lack of investment in infrastructure over the years? What logical objection can householders have for paying for the infrastructure that provides water? Should tenants be forced to pay infrastructure costs relating to a property that they don't own? This in my view is where the difficulties lie.

I see huge problems with non payment in the Local Authority area of Housing. How can this be enforced as there are no penalties. Irish water will not get 90+ % compliance. When this gets traction the non compliant numbers will only grow.
So once again it will be the compliant paying their share plus the non compliant sectors share through extra taxation.

It does not seem to be a very palatable recipe for the compliant.

I see huge problems with non payment in the Local Authority area of Housing. How can this be enforced as there are no penalties. Irish water will not get 90+ % compliance. When this gets traction the non compliant numbers will only grow.
So once again it will be the compliant paying their share plus the non compliant sectors share through extra taxation.

I agree Dermot.

I cannot but think this new Regime is little more than yet another ham-fisted attempt to get Government temporarily out of their self imposed problem.
I just cannot see 90% paying and as you say, add in non-payers who do not own their homes ,it gets worse.
I am getting to the opinion , to not pay for the simple reason it will stop this can being kicked down the road.

Again as I said on other threads {you could not make this up}

Water is payed for through general taxation.

Some of the FG and Labour ministers have even said that on TV.So what does it take for the remaining people who dont see this to finally realize that this has been the case for so many years now.

Water was never free.We have allways paid for our water through our taxes

People are saying no to being double charged/double taxed on it.

Its funny how I see and hear Mr Kenny and Ms Burton standing up at leaders questions every day and they say that they are listening to the people,but they clearly are not listening when they choose to ignore that people wont be double taxed or double charged for water.

FG and Labour choose to ignore that so they are purposely ignoring the people and not listening to them at all.

It also doesnt help FG and Labour when they allow one of their TDs to stand up in the Dail yesterday afternoon and slag off Dublin people,opposition TDs and also mock the people who are protesting and compare them to ISIS.

All that pathetic carry on does is put another 10,000 protestors on the street on December 10th.

Does Enda Kenny and Joan Burton stand by those comments and think that this helps their own cause????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPXLHbtMQio

Water is payed for through general taxation.

Some of thr FG and Labour ministers have even said that on TV.So what does it take for the remaining people to finally realize that this has been the case for so many years now.

People are saying no to being double charged/double taxed on it.
Flowerman.

Cannot but agree that up to now we pay for water/sewage via our taxes.

What was NOT made clear to us was that these extra taxes are to make up for an ongoing lack of expenditure on water/sewage over the years.

Had these Dial Twits clearly told us that we MUST pay extra to ensure future water/sewage and that Irish Water was the proper way to go , we could have come to an agreed/fair solution.

These Dial Twits have now ensured that any solution will now lack credibility and too many people (me included) cannot sfford to trust any self serving utterances from the twits.

I keep saying {you couldn,t make this up}

Should tenants be forced to pay infrastructure costs relating to a property that they don't own? This in my view is where the difficulties lie.

Infrastructure is a cost in providing the water service as much as actually physically treating the water. I agree with the other points in your post. What really annoys me about it all is that

500 million will be spent on meters over the next 3 years or so

500 million or more will be spent on setting up and running Irish water between Consultants and salaries and bonuses in the first 7 years.

We are treating twice as much water going into houses and premises than we need.

At the proposed charges it will take about 8 years to cover the metering, the set-up costs of Irish Water and the extra salaries involved. Not a cent extra for infrastructure other than the subvention from Government and borrowed money.

Flowerman.

Cannot but agree that up to now we pay for water/sewage via our taxes.

What was NOT made clear to us was that these extra taxes are to make up for an ongoing lack of expenditure on water/sewage over the years.

Had these Dial Twits clearly told us that we MUST pay extra to ensure future water/sewage and that Irish Water was the proper way to go , we could have come to an agreed/fair solution.

These Dial Twits have now ensured that any solution will now lack credibility and too many people (me included) cannot sfford to trust any self serving utterances from the twits.

I keep saying {you couldn,t make this up}

Yes you can if your surname is Kenny,Burton or Kelly.

And where is Phil Hogan after all this mess,getting very well paid over in Europe.:mad:

Based on that argument, all those on private supplies or group schemes, or with private effluent treatment systems should have all their costs paid for from the general tax take.

Well its the govement ministers who are now finally admitting to allready paying for water via our taxes,so they are making things worse for themselves and for FG and Labour as a whole.
This whole IW thing is so screwed up and so messed up thats its a complete joke now.And more and more people are seeing this to be the case.FG and Labour screwed up big time and have lost the peoples confidence,trust and vote now.

The only one who came out a winner is Phil Hogan,as he got sent off over to Europe on an even bigger pay packet.He must be laughing at us all from his big comfy leather clad office chair.

Right,I have to get ready to do the school run now.

Hope you all have a nice day.:)

Back