Living alone allowance increased to €9 per week

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was reported as "increased by 9 euro pw" on the Irish Times site. The DSP budget factsheet confirms it's increased from 7.70 to 9 euro pw.

Hi gipimann

I listened live, and I thought he said "increased by €9 pw". But I am not familiar with the allowance, so I might have misheard him.

Brendan

Yes increased from €7.70 to €9 a massive increase of €1.30.
The budget stated increased to €9 but later it was reported as increase of €9.

There has been no increase for the past 19 years.
Try living on €230.30 a week now the increase of €1.30 might pay half your water charges. An absolute disgrace to Minister Noonan!

When will they pay back the current deductions being stolen from our pension funds.
No deductions are made from the public sector. Public sector will also get their pay restored in the coming years. What about restoring the funds stolen from our pension.
Seniors will never recoup these losses.
Browtal

No deductions are made from the public sector.

What about the pension levy that has been in place since 2009, and accounts for approx 7% of income for civil/public servants?

Civil/Public Service pensioners (esp those who retired in recent years) also had a reduction imposed on their pension.

The 'Pension Levy that is in place since 2009' @ 7%.

That 7% is similar to the pension contributions at the rate of 7% that
the private sector paid since they were about 24 yrs of age to ensure a pension for their retirement. Their employers contributed a similar amount to their pensions.

The government decided to levy the pension funds that had built up over the years for these pensions.
They are currently trying to encourage younger people to pay into similar schemes to provide adequately for their retirements. My husband and I had paid into our schemes for the past 40 years to ensure a degree of comfort in our later years. It is painful to see Mr Noonan stealing from our fund. Estimates say that approx €10,000 will have been taken from the average pension.
We also paid our PRSI during the same years to ensure our public pension which is considerably less than the Public Sector pension for which nothing was paid by employees until recent years.
There is another very considerable benefit to public sector. Their pension will be paid at the current rate for the job, including increases that accrue in the coming years. The private sector get paid the same rate, regardless of increases in the later years. Example in 15 years into their retirement the public sector will get the rate for their position as applies after the 15 years.
Browtal

Browtal

gipimann said:
What about the pension levy that has been in place since 2009, and accounts for approx 7% of income for civil/public servants?

Civil/Public Service pensioners (esp those who retired in recent years) also had a reduction imposed on their pension.

Isn't this like comparing apples and oranges?

(Private Sector)
Private sector workers built up their pension pots through sustained contributions via deductions of their gross wages from many years of hard work. The levy on these pensions is so outrageous since they're taken from the full capital of the accumulated pension as opposed to e.g. just the growth in the current finance year etc.

What really blew the pot off the lid for private sector workers was not only did Mr Noonan have the gall to extend the levy he also increased it and didn't even attempt to give a semi reasonable explanation to justify it bar a very feeble and vague comment regarding the pensions industry.

(Public Sector)
The pension deduction from wages which public sector workers have only started paying in recent years is nothing new in concept to those in the private sector.... basically contributing to your own pension for your eventual retirement. If you are at least vaguely familiar with the extent of the looming public sector pensions time bomb then this measure could be considered too little and too late (my own opinion). This pension funding isn't going to magically appear out of thin air.

This is what the pension time bomb situation looked like in 2012:
http://www.independent.ie/business/...for-next-60-years-will-be-116bn-28815056.html

Can I ask what any of the posts above have got to do with the Living Alone Allowance Increase???

I suppose the are both relative to the position of Older People and their income or lack of it. Some Older People living alone, are one of the groups who are subject to poverty on an ongoing everyday basis.
As the living alone allowance has not increased since 1996 the €1.30 is equal to 7c per year. What other group in society has had such a paltry increase. It is hard to imagine how any person would sanction such an increase. This increase will not pay their water charges.
Browtal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back